What's new

Tethering android phone to surface 2 without carrier knowing?

teraih

I just got my surface 2, and where I use it there is no wifi available. I am thinking tethering my nexus 4 to surface, but currently T mobile is blocking my tether. It used to work with stock tether, but then T-mo found out and blocked me since then. If you guys know any solutions to this matter, please let me know. Thanks a million.

D

Deleted member 10837

Is your Nexus rooted with any custom ROM/kernel?

beman39

gawd I hate when carriers are greedy! but instead of tethering you should be ale to connect just with wifi hotspot settings, my carrier lets me do this without impunity and I can stream and use my google maps and stuff with no problems, also you need to have a data plan to be able to accomplish this.

kristalsoldier

gawd I hate when carriers are greedy! but instead of tethering you should be ale to connect just with wifi hotspot settings, my carrier lets me do this without impunity and I can stream and use my google maps and stuff with no problems, also you need to have a data plan to be able to accomplish this.

I think this is precisely what the OP is trying to avoid...and I don't blame him/her. Network service providers appear to live in a completely different universe as compared to us who have to work hard for a living every day!

beman39

but even if you "tether" you still need a data plan on the phone, there's no way of avoiding that, and yes the carriers are so greedy regarding data service it's borderline criminal! esp here in Canada we have the highest rates and worse coverage than 3rd world nations and that's a fact!

hypokondriak

I just got my surface 2, and where I use it there is no wifi available. I am thinking tethering my nexus 4 to surface, but currently T mobile is blocking my tether. It used to work with stock tether, but then T-mo found out and blocked me since then. If you guys know any solutions to this matter, please let me know. Thanks a million.

Isn't T-Mobile transitioning all the accounts to their new Simple Choice Plans? You may want to call T-Mobile and see if they will change you over because you can tether with Simple Choice plus the benefits of no contract.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

kristalsoldier

but even if you "tether" you still need a data plan on the phone, there's no way of avoiding that, and yes the carriers are so greedy regarding data service it's borderline criminal! esp here in Canada we have the highest rates and worse coverage than 3rd world nations and that's a fact!

Yes, you are right. What I meant was the need to have an additional specific data connection that allows tethering, which is what the idiot network service providers try to hoist on us.... I'd rather the network providers created plans where a data connection (within limits - say 2-5GB per month) was included in the cost of the phone service. In fact, if I had more confidence in some of the Communication apps like Skype, I would probably do away with my mobile phone and opt only for a data connection (which I would use for calls - which in my case is minimal - and for being online). Plus, they should allow free tethering within the aforementioned limits. But then again, I am just dreaming!!!!

beman39

that's why I'm so happy with my provider, of course it could always be cheaper but I pay $55 for everything and have 6GB data limit which I can wifi hotspot to my Surface or whatever and they don't bother me!

kristalsoldier

that's why I'm so happy with my provider, of course it could always be cheaper but I pay $55 for everything and have 6GB data limit which I can wifi hotspot to my Surface or whatever and they don't bother me!

Lucky dawg! None of the providers in my neck of the woods even have these or similar options...blood suckers, them all!

demandarin

The thing is we need unlimited data plans including tethering capabilities. With websites and stuff these days, especially viewing HD content on you tube, you can burn through several GB's of data in one day... LOL. My lg Optimus g pro won't tether through wifi. ATT blocks it. My previous galaxy 3 could. Then Bluetooth tethering won't work with my pro for some strange reason. But I am able to get USB tethering to work well. Which it recognizes it as a broadband connection. Although id prefer WiFi tethering, any type of connection is better than no connection at all..lol without having to pay extra for tethering. I'm still grandfathered under original unlimited plan. They do try hard as a Mofo to trick me up into changing my plan. Their slick move is, even though I'm unlimited, if I go over 2gb of data or so, they severely throttle my data/download speeds. Which six. Lol

Last edited: