What's new

That problem that microsoft just won't fix

Kgsurface

This is a new thread to a long standing issue that has been addressed in other threads but i have never fond an answer to. No matter how i set up my SP4 it will just not reliably wake from hibernation. i disabled the keyboard actions, set the power button to hibernate and/or to end hibernation but to no avail. every time i try to use my SP4 after having not used it for a hour or longer - it will not wake - so i hold down the power and volume up button until it goes into some screen telling me to restart. which i do - but come on MS!! you know this an issue in your hardware - can you not fix it?

Has anyone actually found a way to fix this?

Ready to ditch my SP4

Aldec

Open Settings and type Power Plan in box, click on Edit Power Plan, change Turn Off Display to Never.
Click on Create.

OP
K

Kgsurface

ok, that would keep my device display from going off - so let me just be naive for a moment. If I never have my display go off but I have my computer to hibernate after , let's say 1 hour of inactivity, wont the display still go off and the surface go into hibernation and the same issue still arise upon return? I guess I don't see how leaving the display on solves anything. Maybe I am missing something?
Thanks for your response but maybe you could expound on how this solves and issue that many people are experiencing.

Aldec

In Power Options have you clicked on Choose what power buttons do?
Would not sleep option be better for what you are trying to do, you can do this with or without a password.
Whatever option you choose can be overridden by shutting down on power button.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
For the most part through Firmware Updates and Windows 10 Updates I don't have any issues waking from hibernation or S0iX. Most of these issues for me were fixed in January/February.

Make sure you are running the latest Firmware and Drivers and have updated to the latest TH2 Build.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wonder if by tinkering, certain settings are not what they should be. If you've reinstalled drivers etc. and it doesn't work you might consider doing a Reset to get back to a known state (unless you're in NJ then there's no hope). If you've disabled connected standby or made other changes I'm not sure you can reliably undo those changes and restore the default functionality in Full. It might work or it might not.

OP
K

Kgsurface

I have done every update software and firmware, I have tried sleep vs hibernate nothing seems to wake it from it's deep sleep when I come back to it after over an hour. It's usually plugged in and sitting on the table with no monitor connected.
So this isn't something I've done. And I've seem multiple people with sane issue but no answers.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have done every update software and firmware, I have tried sleep vs hibernate nothing seems to wake it from it's deep sleep when I come back to it after over an hour. It's usually plugged in and sitting on the table with no monitor connected.
So this isn't something I've done. And I've seem multiple people with sane issue but no answers.
Yes, some people still see the issue, most do not....each system start the same and through many factors they deviate from each other.

We could go through all the troubleshooting steps but more often than not going back to a clean system tends to fix most issues.

Aldec

If not prepared to do a clean install you could always try choosing Sleep on the power button after having ticked without a password as on post #4 for a rapid restart.

Philtastic

I have not had an issue with sleep/hibernate since about January. You either have a defective device or you have some software installed that doesn't like sleep/hibernate and crashes the system on wake up. If you really want to test this, I would recommend doing a system reset and don't install anything: just put it to sleep/hibernate and see if it wakes up. If it successfully wakes up, you have a software issue.

I have not had an issue with sleep/hibernate since about January. You either have a defective device or you have some software installed that doesn't like sleep/hibernate and crashes the system on wake up. If you really want to test this, I would recommend doing a system reset and don't install anything: just put it to sleep/hibernate and see if it wakes up. If it successfully wakes up, you have a software issue.

#Touchnose

mclark2112

I have halted deployment of Surface 4 Pros in my organization. They all have the same issues with waking from sleep. Bare bones Windows 10 with Office 365. The Surface 4s have come back to the IT department, because we can deal with it. These devices are annoying, but we can deal.

That being said, I love Surface 4, and the idea of it. I just wish MS would either fix the issue or recall these devices.