What's new

That problem that microsoft just won't fix

Votality

I havn't had any of the issues you describe. (Not since jan updates) But i did have my device crash after resumption from sleep or hibernation once (not sure which as i closed the touch cover come back 5-10 mins later) and it crashed upon wakeup. I was running vmware workstation with usb devices attached to the guest when the device was suspended. I suspect it was something to do with the vm, and power state and the usb device.

To the original poser, I would do a clean reinstall from usb with the latest release of the win 10 bmr image the install updates and see if it happens again after that. If it does it must be hardware. You shouldn't need to change any settings.

(Download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have halted deployment of Surface 4 Pros in my organization. They all have the same issues with waking from sleep. Bare bones Windows 10 with Office 365. The Surface 4s have come back to the IT department, because we can deal with it. These devices are annoying, but we can deal.

That being said, I love Surface 4, and the idea of it. I just wish MS would either fix the issue or recall these devices.
Your barebones Windows 10 image or Microsoft's Image? If you did your own, did you follow the deployment guide to build it? Have you deployed all Firmware and Driver Updates? Office 365 LTSB or Production, as the LTSB hasn't been updated to fix some of the bugs with the Office Suite on S0iX Machines...

We have over 60 SP3, 45 SP4s and 10 SBs deployed and when the IT guys deployed the slapped their image on them and we had issues, I worked with them to fix it and now no issues.

mclark2112

Straight up windows 10 Pro, no image, actual install. And straight up Office 365 install from MS. I have painstakingly installed all updates and firmware. I am actually running the Insider Preview right now, but it still unstable from time to time.

Ruffles

I just bought my SP4 with i7/16GB/256GB and I have this problem as well. It's completely up to date and I constantly have problems waking it up. I have it set to use sleep instead of hibernate.

Votality

I just bought my SP4 with i7/16GB/256GB and I have this problem as well. It's completely up to date and I constantly have problems waking it up. I have it set to use sleep instead of hibernate.

Interesting mine is i5/8/256 could it be only be the i7,s having the issue?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Straight up windows 10 Pro, no image, actual install. And straight up Office 365 install from MS. I have painstakingly installed all updates and firmware. I am actually running the Insider Preview right now, but it still unstable from time to time.
But not the Surface Image? I clean install using Retail or VL Media?

I built my image from latest Windows 10 Enterprise using the deployment guide (I'm an SCCM shop), latest firmware and driver pack and have similar issues. I was able to duplicate it with the stock surface image as well. It's not every time, but sometimes when I just close the lid after an hour or so it sometimes has to be hard shutdown to respond.
I have 130 surface pros most of which are the 3's and 4's. I've found that each one seems to have a mind of it's own - quite odd. I moved our tablet standard to the HP X2 1012 and we're not really looking back. Even those have the same UEFI quirks at times but not nearly in the quantity I've seen on the surface (plus they are serviceable).

Teclini

I have no Problems with SP4 in my organization. I7 with Win 10 Enterprise Office 365 and DirectAccess. Cortana disabled and WLAN active.
Lost 10% in 24h.
After 24h hibernation ist active.

Edit:
I install Hyper-V without any configuration.

upload_2016-7-12_10-6-30.png

Last edited:

Semi

I do have the same issue too even after the July update. (Just had it yesterday evening)
As far as I can tell it only happens to me when I press the power button to switch it of before closing the cover.
If I just close the cover it seems not to happen.
But this is just a feeling here not a test as it happens only every few days and is hard to replicate. (But it is hell of annoying)

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is a new thread to a long standing issue that has been addressed in other threads but i have never fond an answer to. No matter how i set up my SP4 it will just not reliably wake from hibernation. i disabled the keyboard actions, set the power button to hibernate and/or to end hibernation but to no avail. every time i try to use my SP4 after having not used it for a hour or longer - it will not wake - so i hold down the power and volume up button until it goes into some screen telling me to restart. which i do - but come on MS!! you know this an issue in your hardware - can you not fix it?

Has anyone actually found a way to fix this?

Ready to ditch my SP4

I just installed the latest Insider Preview - "Redstone" or whatever one wants to call it. Since then - All my power issues have been taken care of without any problems. Wakes from hibernation, sleeps, the whole 9 yards. I did notice that there was yet another recent update - My current OS is Windows 10 Enterprise Insider Preview Build 14372.rs1_release.160620-2342. I was simply amazed when things starred working properly.

I also did a test and put it into hibernation and placed the Surface Pro 4 into my carrying bag and it did not start running on its own, was not warm to the touch upon taking it out, and booted right up from a hibernated state.