What's new

Solved That Software Won't Work on a Surface Pro!??

OP
Telstar1948

Telstar1948

Certainly that's possible - no telling what speck of software has been updated or altered that could be causing a conflict. Trying to figure it out would probably take more time and effort than it would be worth. Yeah, I'm going to try Windows scanner software and others until I find something that does what I need, assuming any of it works with the Epson GT-1500.

leeshor

I'm a relatively fearless registry modifier. What I have learned over the years is that uninstalling virtually any Windows program leaves tons of registry entries behind. Installing the software again does NOT use the entries that existed prior to uninstalling but adds them back in AGAIN, leaving you with 2 or more entries for each item. Anti Virus and MF printer software are among the worst at the shear volume of modifications made to the registry which can be well into the hundreds. Even the registry cleaner in CCleaner doesn't remove most of them. You are left with registry "fluff" listed as .2 or .3 as a part of the name

For that reason I use a program called Revo Uninstalled, (the free version). It will search the registry, after using the software's uninstaller, to see what remains and offer to remove those items. I have found the default settings to be 100% reliable and doesn't removing something that needs to be there. It also removes leftover files and folders the program's uninstaller misses.

bluegrass

I'm a relatively fearless registry modifier. What I have learned over the years is that uninstalling virtually any Windows program leaves tons of registry entries behind. Installing the software again does NOT use the entries that existed prior to uninstalling but adds them back in AGAIN, leaving you with 2 or more entries for each item. Anti Virus and MF printer software are among the worst at the shear volume of modifications made to the registry which can be well into the hundreds. Even the registry cleaner in CCleaner doesn't remove most of them. You are left with registry "fluff" listed as .2 or .3 as a part of the name

For that reason I use a program called Revo Uninstalled, (the free version). It will search the registry, after using the software's uninstaller, to see what remains and offer to remove those items. I have found the default settings to be 100% reliable and doesn't removing something that needs to be there. It also removes leftover files and folders the program's uninstaller misses.

I would recommend saving a backup copy of the registry before doing any significant changes to it.

OP
Telstar1948

Telstar1948

Well, I found some mention of problems with Epson's scanner software and the Surface, but not a lot. Having said that, Windows Paint software detects the scanner and you can scan through Paint, although not with the degree of control I would like - same for Windows Fax & Scan software: again, not the settings or control to make it a good experience.

So, there is some conflict with the Epson scanner software, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled all of that numerous times thinking that surely on the next try the software will work! ...nada, ain't going to happen. Guess I'll look elsewhere for some scanner software that will work with the Epson GT-1500 scanner I have.

@leeshor - got Revo Uninstaller and am trying it out!

OP
Telstar1948

Telstar1948

Last word on this...I decided to email Epson support instead of calling like I did last time. In my email I covered what happened with my previous tech trip. An advanced tech guy emailed me wanting to remote to my SP3 (don't know why the others didn't suggest this). He downloaded a tool called Epson Registry Cleaner and clicked on it. It took all of 5 seconds and was done. He then told me to click on the Epson scanner icon, which I did. It opened as always & I then clicked on the scan button...lo and behold, it scanned perfectly. He told me if things ever get glitched again to just run that little tool and all should be well. He also said that having an SP3 makes no difference one way or the other. That's what you all said, and what I thought, but I find it amazing how one tech person can handle something easily and the next one can't and yet they both work for the same company. I've run into this before, though, so I shouldn't be surprised. Anyway, Epson GT-1500 scanner is working beautifully again!

malberttoo

Last word on this...I decided to email Epson support instead of calling like I did last time. In my email I covered what happened with my previous tech trip. An advanced tech guy emailed me wanting to remote to my SP3 (don't know why the others didn't suggest this). He downloaded a tool called Epson Registry Cleaner and clicked on it. It took all of 5 seconds and was done. He then told me to click on the Epson scanner icon, which I did. It opened as always & I then clicked on the scan button...lo and behold, it scanned perfectly. He told me if things ever get glitched again to just run that little tool and all should be well. He also said that having an SP3 makes no difference one way or the other. That's what you all said, and what I thought, but I find it amazing how one tech person can handle something easily and the next one can't and yet they both work for the same company. I've run into this before, though, so I shouldn't be surprised. Anyway, Epson GT-1500 scanner is working beautifully again!

Awesome! I love it when problems that bug the holy tar out of you, finally get solved!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well you did say the email was from the *Advanced* Tech Guy ;) That's why he's advanced and the other guy didn't.

malberttoo

Well you did say the email was from the *Advanced* Tech Guy ;) That's why he's advanced and the other guy didn't.

Yeah but too often, they make it insane and so frustrating to get past the level 1 guys, to the advanced dudes. So annoying.

TheJokker

Years and years ago I worked for AOL. While everybody started on phone support if you got a reputation for being one of the top techs you were promoted to Tech Mail. Not always but in general tech support by email is usually going to start out at a higher level than calling a call center.

malberttoo

Years and years ago I worked for AOL. While everybody started on phone support if you got a reputation for being one of the top techs you were promoted to Tech Mail. Not always but in general tech support by email is usually going to start out at a higher level than calling a call center.

Good to know!