What's new

The evolution of OneNote

msolok

Both OneNote's will certainly be using the same Account (so you would need to use the same User Name and Password). They use your Microsoft account to sync into your OneDrive storage. The only time I know of Microsoft account prompting for a change of password would be if you forget your password or enter the wrong one in too many times. If you then change the password, it will change everywhere you are using your account.

There is only a single password for you account. There can't be multiple.
If this is not working your best bet is to speak to Microsoft. We can't do much to help you with account issues here.

Is your Outlook still syncing? It might have very well stopped when you where trying to log into OneNote, and the Contacts are no longer appearing. Best option would be to log into the Web interface for your email and check if the contacts are still there. If they are, you have a sync issue. If not, you can see if the mail account has a restore process. it's hard to say if it would or not without knowing the type of account it is.

OP
jott27

jott27

Both OneNote's will certainly be using the same Account (so you would need to use the same User Name and Password). They use your Microsoft account to sync into your OneDrive storage. The only time I know of Microsoft account prompting for a change of password would be if you forget your password or enter the wrong one in too many times. If you then change the password, it will change everywhere you are using your account.

There is only a single password for you account. There can't be multiple.
If this is not working your best bet is to speak to Microsoft. We can't do much to help you with account issues here.

Is your Outlook still syncing? It might have very well stopped when you where trying to log into OneNote, and the Contacts are no longer appearing. Best option would be to log into the Web interface for your email and check if the contacts are still there. If they are, you have a sync issue. If not, you can see if the mail account has a restore process. it's hard to say if it would or not without knowing the type of account it is.
I am glad that you agree that there should be only one MS ID and PW. But the fact remains that the 2016 version of OneNote rejected the login. Yet my normally used login ID and PW still work on other MS stuff. The disaster that my Outlook has lost all its contact info was a real pain, but like anything else in life, there was a good side to it. I discovered the use of MS Access, which permitted me to re-enter all my contacts manually. Even as I entered them in a random sequence, they were organized nicely in alphabetical order. From that I could re-establish the contact list in Outlook as well.