What's new

the last straw with surface RT

Dutchpiet

Hi I bought surface nine months ago, been through the problems and wi fi disconnects and limited connection, updates did cure many bugs etc,
But it returns and on screen key board is unreliable and has a mind of its own, its fully updated, and been refreshed, factory reset as advice on this forum,
Browser is slow to load, my internet is high quality even cellular 3/4G is very good, no virus/Trojans etc security is up to date and only safe sites visited NBC CBS BBC and similar, its unusable, many times I have to use another tablet, I own playbook/ Touchpad and zoom, only playbook has worked without fault over two years never crashes freezes its ready to use no attention needed, why does the surface RT need so much attention? It

Jglnaz372

As with any device not all of them work as hoped. You might have been just unlucky in getting a faulty unit. I have had a few Windows laptops and desktops over the past 20 years. A few never needed a thing and worked flawlessly until their "age" began to show due to small hard drives, low amount of memory, etc. Typical process of the advancement of computers over a 5 year period or more I kept my devices. Some of my computers were constantly giving me the blue screen of death, need to reload the OS, erasing a hard drive and reloading everything and starting as day 1 again because the computer was not acting right. Most of the time it solved the problem. A few times I had to return a device because it just never worked right. It happens. Just like with anything, as we find out, we sometimes get a lemon. I think that happened here.

The Surface RT is not perfect, but as a device it is a very good tablet when you compare it to what is out there. I would bet a few dollars that a few that have a Nexus 7 from last year are now saying that their screen is no good, the tablet is slow, etc because a new one came out. Does that mean all the Nexus 7's from last year are junk? Of course not. It is all from user experience which can be good, bad, biased, frustrating, fun, enjoyable, etc.

Sorry you had such a frustrating experience with your Surface. Many have had good results, I am sure a few had negative experiences like yourself. It happens...

Tom T

When certain people have, apparently, an experience that is so far from others I have to think there is something wrong with that particular device. I've had my RT for some time now and as tablets go it has been a decidedly positive experience. The RT actually, for a first generation device, seems rather well polished to me. Of course I am the forgiving type as most people that buy a first Gen device almost need to be if they enjoy a good night's sleep (and actually appreciate it more when it is just a couple hours after solving a perplexing problem ;-).

beman39

have had mine for almost 3 weeks now and it has worked flawless, so much in fact I bought another one for the wife! also now that I can install all my apps to my 64gb micro SD card I'm super happy with it! selling all my other tablets because I'm so happy with it! OP I'll bet all my money you were just unlucky to get a bad/faulty device! your still under your 1 year warranty so I would send it in for repair!

Last edited:

machistmo

have had mine for almost 3 weeks now and it has worked flawless, so much in fact I bought another one for the wife! also now that I can install all my apps to my 64gb micro SD card I'm super happy with it! selling all my other tablets because I'm so happy with it! OP I'll bet all my money you were just unlucky to get a bad/faulty device! your still under your 1 year warranty so I would send it in for repair!

Are you sure you can install your apps to the SD card? Did 8.1 offer this for the RT? I returned both my RT and my Pro a couple of months ago and at that time, you could not install apps on the SD without major problems. You could do it but you would basically wish you had not.

machistmo

beman39 is right about the service arrangement. You will probably get a brand new unit seeing that MS has $900 million dollars worth of unsold RT devices just sitting around.

beman39

Are you sure you can install your apps to the SD card? Did 8.1 offer this for the RT? I returned both my RT and my Pro a couple of months ago and at that time, you could not install apps on the SD without major problems. You could do it but you would basically wish you had not.

Sure I'm sure, it's super easy but it involves changing the registry and now I have everything installing to the SD which I checked and everything is on there and functioning wonderfully!...so far lol

there is a vid on youtube that shows you how to do it...easy peasy

machistmo

Sure I'm sure, it's super easy but it involves changing the registry and now I have everything installing to the SD which I checked and everything is on there and functioning wonderfully!...so far lol

there is a vid on youtube that shows you how to do it...easy peasy

I did this and when it came to updating the apps - not so good. I sense a factory reset in your future. :)

machistmo

Yea man. Good luck with that whole thing. 8.1 may offer some changes to that whle thing but as it was when I tried this on mine, updating killed everything. Or should I say, I could not update.

beman39

Ok so I just wanted to update that all my apps are updating just fine, even tho I have them installing to my SD card, the only app that gave me trouble was the music app which all I had to do is un-install it then re-install it then it updated no problem...so everything seems good, YAY!