What's new

The "Official" I got my Surface 3 thread

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Surface-3-Charger.jpg
I tried a different cable, same result. Obviously the connector position prevents it from going all the way in although the block on the supplied cable is not angled to fit flush with the case anyway.

I think I'm going to use a different cable though because I don't like the light on the connector and you cannot flip it over.

mtalinm

Haven't spent too much time with it yet but must agree it is a great size. If it were faster I'd consider using this for my primary machine.

The keyboard is almost as good as the original Type Cover. I hope they redo the Surface Pro 3 type cover, and make it as wide as possible. (this one is a bit narrow)

inportrait mode it reminds me of my first iPad. Just the right size & weight. Wow.

It does bog down occasionally when too much is going on, but nothing tragic.

The charger is weird. Not flush with device, and really bulky. :-(

More later

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
After a few hours - compared to Surface 2.
3:2 aspect ratio - compared to Surface 2 the display area is very nearly the same width but nearly an inch taller,
3rd kickstand position,
snappier performance than Surface 2,
better color in the display
more storage 128GB vs 64GB - 92GB usable vs 47GB on Surface 2
On screen keyboard is more responsive.

Dislikes:
Charger cable light - distracting.
Charging connector doesn't allow micro USB connector to seat flush to case - sets off my OCD about things being plugged in all the way.

I'll have to work harder on this section. :)

Overall I like it, a definite improvement over the Surface 2 and I haven't scratched the Surface yet. :)

dajogejr

Just walked into BB. Came home to realize it doesn't come with the pen, went back and came home with a pen and keyboard cover.
My 13 year old is geeked (it's for him).
Just setting it up...I like the size/form factor compared to my SP3.

TeknoBlast

Took the day off today. Went to the first showing of Avengers at the IMAX. After movie, went to Best Buy and purchased the S3. Came home and it was time to take wife to hospital because she went into labor. S3 was unpacked but not played with yet.

Boblette

I think the issues with the charger not fitting flush is an non-issue for me.

What I think is great and getting quite common is that the charger that is suppled is detachable from the usb cable. So you don't have to carry too many cables everywhere. Plus replacing a usb cable instead of a whole charging unit is nice. So if the light and fit bothers you, try another USB cable.

I didn't think the update took too long, either. Can't wait until I get the paycheck direct deposit into my bank tomorrow morning so I can purchase my first app...the one I bought the Surface 3 for: StaffPad!

The keyboard/cover is really well designed worth the price, backlit too! The whole unit with cover is so portable and fully functional.

Last edited:

mtalinm

Good point .. I suppose the charge intensity is related to the size of the brick; cable should not matter.

Btw I successfully tricked Dropbox into syncing to a 128G SD card, cool

Stockholmstar

Anyone in Europe got theirs yet? Up here on 59th North, they promise "no later than May 7th". For me, no shipping confirmation yet.
Already have an SP3 and looking for something smaller during work trips....

AnthonyE1778

Got mine at my local MS Store yesterday. Runs incredibly smoothly. It took a surprisingly short amount of time to install the Windows 10 10074 Insider Preview... but I rolled back after about half an hour of frustration. The Preview OS is so incredibly choppy and slow on this Atom processor. Apparently 10061 was great with the S3, but the new build just sucks the life out of it! So yes, don't upgrade to Windows 10 on this thing... yet.

Overall, a pretty great tablet that's the perfect size. A bit heavy, but not deal-breakingly so. And the build quality is phenomenal for a more budget-minded productivity tablet.

mtalinm

not thrilled with micro USB charging. the only charger that feeds it juice when it's turned on is the one that comes with it. otherwise I have to turn it off to charge. my guess is that car chargers and the like will do nothing

EDIT: found a trick. my S3 won't charge while turned on if you plug in the charger while it's turned on. but if you plug in the charger when it's turned off, and then turn on the S3, it keeps charging. go figure. this is using the USB port on a Surface Pro 3 charger, fwiw but also worked with some generic USB brick.

Last edited:

AnthonyE1778

My car charger actually charges my S3 with the power turned on. It is kind of slow, but definite progress is seen after just a half-hour drive. However, I think my car charger might be a high-power, rapid charger so I imagine that might have something to do with it.