What's new

The "Official" I got my Surface 3 thread

kristalsoldier

I was going to ask you about this- if you were using OneDrive, and how you felt that it complemented a good work flow between both devices?

Hi...sorry for the late reply.

Yes, OneDrive is an essential part of the digital experience that I am immersed in - most of the time. It has - over time - become the central repository for all my files. Of course, I have up-to-date copies on local external drives, but they are back up. With very few service hiccups, OneDrive has worked well to keep my desktop machine, the two Surface devices (SP3 and S3), my two Win phones, and the iPad Air (which I have not picked up since I got the S3) all in sync. I back up documents and pics to OneDrive. One thing that I really like(d) in Win 8.1 was to have the quick access to all files on OneDrive with the off-line capability. I moved the OneDrive folder to the MicroSD card (on the SP3) and it has served me well till date. I have not yet done this on the S3, but that is because I am being very lazy at the moment.

Some of the apps that I use regularly like Drawboard PDF, Book Bazaar, Book Viser, among others, sync though folders stashed on OneDrive, which also means my annotations and markings are also available across devices (Drawboard does not have a mobile app though - at least I don't know of it).

So, to answer your question OneDrive is central to how I move from one device to another almost seamlessly. Sure things could be better - even more seamless and hopefully Win 10 will bring more of that to the party.

Edit:

One thing though - this reliance on OneDrive also means a total reliance on some form of connectivity. As long as I am at my current location where I am always enmeshed in either public or private networks, this is not always the case when I travel to some locations overseas. Connectivity can become slow, patchy and sometimes even non-existent. That is where I feel the most pinch in terms of being so heavily reliant on OneDrive.

Last edited:

malberttoo

Hi...sorry for the late reply.

Yes, OneDrive is an essential part of the digital experience that I am immersed in - most of the time. It has - over time - become the central repository for all my files. Of course, I have up-to-date copies on local external drives, but they are back up. With very few service hiccups, OneDrive has worked well to keep my desktop machine, the two Surface devices (SP3 and S3), my two Win phones, and the iPad Air (which I have not picked up since I got the S3) all in sync. I back up documents and pics to OneDrive. One thing that I really like(d) in Win 8.1 was to have the quick access to all files on OneDrive with the off-line capability. I moved the OneDrive folder to the MicroSD card (on the SP3) and it has served me well till date. I have not yet done this on the S3, but that is because I am being very lazy at the moment.

Some of the apps that I use regularly like Drawboard PDF, Book Bazaar, Book Viser, among others, sync though folders stashed on OneDrive, which also means my annotations and markings are also available across devices (Drawboard does not have a mobile app though - at least I don't know of it).

So, to answer your question OneDrive is central to how I move from one device to another almost seamlessly. Sure things could be better - even more seamless and hopefully Win 10 will bring more of that to the party.

Edit:

One thing though - this reliance on OneDrive also means a total reliance on some form of connectivity. As long as I am at my current location where I am always enmeshed in either public or private networks, this is not always the case when I travel to some locations overseas. Connectivity can become slow, patchy and sometimes even non-existent. That is where I feel the most pinch in terms of being so heavily reliant on OneDrive.

Thanks for that info. I myself heavily use Dropbox (not paying for it) and lightly use OneDrive, although I do end up using it several times a week. I have a lot more free space in OneDrive though, and have been considering moving over to it completely, but have never heard anyone give me their thoughts on OD, who uses it heavily in their lifestyle. I just want to make sure it holds up to a heavy user.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for that info. I myself heavily use Dropbox (not paying for it) and lightly use OneDrive, although I do end up using it several times a week. I have a lot more free space in OneDrive though, and have been considering moving over to it completely, but have never heard anyone give me their thoughts on OD, who uses it heavily in their lifestyle. I just want to make sure it holds up to a heavy user.
My entire life syncs with OneDrive...personal and professional

kzoo

I purchased my surface 3 yesterday while on a business trip in Seattle... I am replacing an iPad that has served me well over that past few years... I've had a chance to work on it (note taking with Onenote) and so far am very impressed!

nextgendev

Hi to everybody i'm waiting my surface 3 to arrive within tomorrow i hope. I've bought an ex demo unit onebay.it with the keyboard and the pen for 450 euros shipped with 2 years warranty (4GB/128GB model of course). Now i'm writing from my galaxy tab4. The unit has been updated to windows 10 by the shop owner. I hope to find drawboard pdf installed and also not to have the ink disappearing problem on one note. 450 euros is the half of what the entire kit costs new on the microsoft shop here in italy so i'm quite excited. The tab4 will become my parents tablet. I always use the chip.de site charts as a reference before buying any it device i don't understand why the surface 3 it's only at the 33rd position on their tablet chart; here is the link : Vergleich: Tablets im Test - CHIP
Tomorrow i hope to post something with my firts impressions.
Sorry for my english and thank you for the great forum.
Andrea

Turbo4AWD

Kinda late, but I purchased my Surface 3 a week ago and have been, predictably, in love. It is replacing my iPad Air as a tablet and more than accomplishes that task. After constantly getting frustrated with "not available on mobile" and other such hurdles on iPad, I am happy to have a full blown OS with practically Zero limits. That doesn't mean it hasn't had it's problems, but the pros far outweigh the minor setbacks (which have been resolved since). Only other thing affecting my current experience is that I am on the cusp of the Windows 10 release so there are more bugs/issues then I am sure there were on Windows 8.1. Either way, proud to be a Surface 3 owner.

I only got the pen and a Maroo case for it. Not sure I will need the keyboard because for really intense work tasks I will just power up the 17" Alienware laptop for all the intense gaming/spreadsheet work I may need to do for actual work tasks. Otherwise, the touchscreen keyboard and pen are enough to complete the experience for me.

Lastly, I'm enjoying the stereo speakers. Finally I can hold the tablet without completely blocking the speaker (iPad Air) and watch a video or listen to music. Either way, I had to create an account here to learn and share my experiences with this amazing piece of technology!

First time user, just signed up.

I received my S3 by way of an ISP deal. Just change to this ISP, take out the suggested plan, then add the S3 for an extra $x per month.

Have recently upgraded to W10, and I have a random lock-up/freezing problem that don't seem to be able to fix, nor can I find a resolution online even though a lot of S3 users have the same freezing problem.

I prefer Firefox over IE (have used FF since 1.5), and most, if not all, of my software is non-MS. Coming over as a former Ubuntu user, I use software that is free, available for both operating systems, and something that I am familiar with.

Anyway, back to the freezing problem. I am not really concerned as the tabs are always restored so I'm not really losing anything, but when it happens whilst reading a news article, or after making a coffee, it does cause a bit of frustration. The real concern, however, is the damage to the operating system by shutting the S3 down incorrectly.

Telstar1948

Are you talking about the S3 locking up completely? Or are you referring to a display driver crash while in a browser? If the latter, those are occurring across the Surface/Surface Book line. They are driver issues that will get worked out as Win10 matures. There seems to be issues with Intel getting their drivers right in Win10.