What's new

The strange thing about Surface Pro wifi...

mitchellvii

It works, then it doesn't work, then it works, then it doesn't work. So odd. Same hardware, same software, completely inconsistent behavior. Strange. The oddest part is that it seems the closer one is to the wifi source the worse it is. My desktop in the same room using a usb wifi adapter gets 30 mbps down and my SP can barely connect. So odd to be showing 5 solid bars only to get "limited" connection while I get an excellent connection with only 2 bars from my range extender on the other side of the house.

Have tried all the fixes. Sometimes it just decides to stop working after being fine for days. Oh well. Head scratcher.

It's little weird crap like this that keep me from loving this device.

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

One thing I have noticed seems to make things better. If I just set my wifi router's channel to "auto" instead of picking the best channel manually the SP seems to pick up the signal and connect much more reliably. Even though my DL speed decrease from 30 mbps to 20 mbps doing this. Odd. It is almost as if the SP gets sort of overwhelmed by too high a data rate.

machistmo

I think that may have to do with the Surface Pro having the Wifi Attenna hidden behind metal and gorilla-glass. The USB adapter has the advantage of being located outside all that would-be interference creating materials. I had similar problems with my Surface Pro and would say that over-all the Wifi Performance of my Surface Pro was sub-par. I recall it taking me 8 minutes to get itunes on the SP and 44 seconds on a Laptop right next to the Pro once.

machistmo

So now I have to decide what I want to do today. I was thinking of buying my sister a Laptop for her upcomming birthday and building myself a Mini ITX factor PC because I am awesome and I deserve a treat.

demandarin

Havent noticed any WiFi issues. At least not yet. Seems to pair up and hold connection fine to Comcast high speed wireless. I tested 35+mbps speeds last night. I haven't had the device 24hrs. Yet though. I had to snap out of tablet/android mentality when using this. I was lost at first. Spent like 2 Hrs. When I first got it trying to figure out why it wouldn't accept my Gmail info to sync mail..lmfao. I got it now though. Downloaded the user guide which put me up to speed. I have to keep remembering this isn't some simple ol tablet and its a fullblown PC.

Quick question. In settings there's a thing that says if imwant to add new features to windows/new version of windows. Is this that 8.1 preview? I have the option to install it manually or not?

machistmo

I am pretty sure you have to to go to the Preview website and d/l a piece that then makes the 8.1 preview available to you via the Store. Thats how I did it on my TPT2. Keep in mind that as far as I understand the preview, you will need to start fresh if you have the Preview installed when 8.1 drops live. If you have 8.0 installed and then 8.1 drops live, all your software and profile will come with you when you install the 8.1 Live update.

Last edited:

Arizona Willie

That's why I am no installing 8.1.

I'm not about to wipe my SPPRO and re-install ALL the programs I have on it and copy all the data files from those programs from a backup back to the new installation.

AND THEN DO IT AGAIN WHEN 8.1 GOES LIVE.

If, when 8.1 goes live they tell me I have to completely re-install --- I will stay with 8.0.

I am pretty sure you have to to go to the Preview website and d/l a piece that then makes the 8.1 preview available to you via the Store. Thats how I did it on my TPT2. Keep in mind that as far as I understand the preview, you will need to start fresh if you have the Preview installed when 8.1 drops live. If you have 8.0 installed and then 8.1 drops live, all your software and profile will come with you when you install the 8.1 Live update.

machistmo

Again Microsoft is rushing ahead to thinking we are all at the 'cloud-stage' because thats where they want to head. In the future people may keep everything in the cloud and exist harmoniously on 5 devices all at once, with each device having a diminished importance in terms of its OS and apps. In the future. As it is now, I went ahead with the preivew 8.1 on my TPT2 because its really just a test device that I dont 'need' in my day to day operations. If I were heavily dug into a SP with desktop apps installed and all that, I would wait it out as well. Too bad since 8.1 allows some measure of freedom that I didnt feel with the original release.

Sit

I too have experienced this.... very frustrating. I have two android tablets and they work just fine. I also found that Bluetooth effects Wi-Fi negatively. To me this Wi-Fi/Bluetooth is such a distraction, I'll be looking to replace the pro with another tablet (with haswell).

Also, Open GL, an acknowledged problem for several months, still has yet to be fixed. I like the pro otherwise, but if it doesn't work completely then I'll look elsewhere.

It works, then it doesn't work, then it works, then it doesn't work. So odd. Same hardware, same software, completely inconsistent behavior. Strange. The oddest part is that it seems the closer one is to the wifi source the worse it is. My desktop in the same room using a usb wifi adapter gets 30 mbps down and my SP can barely connect. So odd to be showing 5 solid bars only to get "limited" connection while I get an excellent connection with only 2 bars from my range extender on the other side of the house.

Have tried all the fixes. Sometimes it just decides to stop working after being fine for days. Oh well. Head scratcher.

It's little weird crap like this that keep me from loving this device.

Lolvo

The WiFi on my RT suffers the same fate unfortunately; but I really do think that it has to do with 8.1 and the device, not JUST the device.

I'll connect fine one instance, then all of a sudden it drops the connection - but still says I am connected to a network and have internet access! On top of that, it will sometimes not allow me to disconnect from a network. Other times, I won't be connected and I'll pull up the list, only to find that it shows no networks available...when in reality, there's about 10 available (two of which the device regularly uses). If I want to solve the issue, I either have to wait for Surface to get its shit together, or restart the device.

Then, there are those other times where it works flawlessly and automatically connects to a known network, and runs just fine - like right now for example. Sitting at a table on my fraternity house's front lawn on campus, using campus WiFi, and I'm sitting here browsing and typing this reply (200 yards from the nearest student building, I might add). Curious discrepancies that make my Surface frustrating to use on some occasions; hoping a fix for these issues comes with 8.1...

Last edited:

Omni

I've had some problems with Wi-Fi on my RT recently. I deleted it from device manager and now its fine.

GStGUJV

Having recently purchased a Surface Pro as an alternative device to my IPad, and experiencing the working / not working Surface Pro WiFi, I am very disappointed with my latest purchase. No such problems with my IPad – a great product.

One trend I have noticed is, as a general rule, my Surface Pro does not work at night, yet without altering my network, or cycling the modem, or moving to a different location, the next morning my Surface Pro connects without any difficulty or delay. Looking at this issue in more detail, at night, unlike my IPad, the Surface Pro detects approximately 10 to 12 nearby modems, although in every case, with the exception of my own modem, the signal strengths are very weak. However, in the morning the number of modems detected drops to about 6 to 7. I am beginning to suspect that the problem is a WiFi interference issue. Interestingly, my IPad only appears to detect between 1 to 3 modems, regardless of the time of day. Given my limited knowledge of modems, and not wanting to spoil my IPad experience, I am not keen to mess with my router settings, but I have noticed that band is set to automatic.

Hopefully MS will find the solution that so many Surface Pro owners need, and need sooner than later. In the meantime I cannot recommend the Surface Pro.