What's new

The strange thing about Surface Pro wifi...

Krooked

Having recently purchased a Surface Pro as an alternative device to my IPad, and experiencing the working / not working Surface Pro WiFi, I am very disappointed with my latest purchase. No such problems with my IPad – a great product.

One trend I have noticed is, as a general rule, my Surface Pro does not work at night, yet without altering my network, or cycling the modem, or moving to a different location, the next morning my Surface Pro connects without any difficulty or delay. Looking at this issue in more detail, at night, unlike my IPad, the Surface Pro detects approximately 10 to 12 nearby modems, although in every case, with the exception of my own modem, the signal strengths are very weak. However, in the morning the number of modems detected drops to about 6 to 7. I am beginning to suspect that the problem is a WiFi interference issue. Interestingly, my IPad only appears to detect between 1 to 3 modems, regardless of the time of day. Given my limited knowledge of modems, and not wanting to spoil my IPad experience, I am not keen to mess with my router settings, but I have noticed that band is set to automatic.

Hopefully MS will find the solution that so many Surface Pro owners need, and need sooner than later. In the meantime I cannot recommend the Surface Pro.

My experience is the exact opposite of yours. I would suggest returning your SP immediately. It is obviously defective. My SP's Wi-Fi massively outperforms my iPad 3's

oion

Hopefully MS will find the solution that so many Surface Pro owners need, and need sooner than later. In the meantime I cannot recommend the Surface Pro.

It's not that many who have your problem, otherwise the thousands of user reviews out there would not be at 4.5/5 stars average. It might look like "many" because people try to converge on public venues such as this forum for problem postings (self-sampling bias).

There are tips on this forum about Pro wifi (do an advanced thread search with wifi in the title, not sure if this results link will work), including a new driver and whatnot. Make sure your Pro is fully up to date with the MS patches as well.

GStGUJV

Good point, research this issue in more detail, thanks for the advice and the links. I also think my use of "more" was wrong, but in my opinion, this explains the missing half star.

oion

Good point, research this issue in more detail, thanks for the advice and the links. I also think my use of "more" was wrong, but in my opinion, this explains the missing half star.

Actually, the universal criticism of Pro 1 has always been battery life. ;) Good luck figuring out the WiFi woes, though; I hate network troubleshooting...

olimjj

GStGUJV,
You might want to do the following to find if perhaps some System abnormalities might be affecting this situation.
1. Press the Windows Key + W Key
2. Search for Command Prompt and run it as the Administrator
3. At the prompt type sfc /scannow and hit enter ( leave a space after sfc)
It takes a while but it will find and repair any system file problems, related perhaps or not related to your situation

Stoliguy

You have to understand that Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, first off, are not friends. Also, they work like sponges. If you have a field of RF signal created by your router, each device you put on the network "sponges up" some of the range, effectively "shrinking the puddle"... add to this the "oil" of bluetooth, and you've got a sponge full of crap. Let your router do its Auto thing, shut off your BT and you'll be much happier... also... as cool as it is to have 174,234,765 devices up and running in your living room all at once... shut off the ones you're not using. Your electric bill AND your WiFi will thank you.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

You have to understand that Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, first off, are not friends. Also, they work like sponges. If you have a field of RF signal created by your router, each device you put on the network "sponges up" some of the range, effectively "shrinking the puddle"... add to this the "oil" of bluetooth, and you've got a sponge full of crap. Let your router do its Auto thing, shut off your BT and you'll be much happier... also... as cool as it is to have 174,234,765 devices up and running in your living room all at once... shut off the ones you're not using. Your electric bill AND your WiFi will thank you.

THANK-YOU!!!!

My wifi speed was half what it should be and I could NOT figure out the problem. I was using a bluetooth mouse. Just tried turning off bluetooth and bingo, full speed from my wifi! Yay!