What's new

The student/productivity thread

M

ManUnited

For instructors, here is an interesting series of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL745FCBBC680AC7E3

They cover use of Onenote, Camtasia, making screencasts, and using Onenote in class.

Tom — Thank you so much for these videos. Your video Using OneNote in Class was especially helpful. Do you share your notebooks with your class or just individual pages? (I don't know if this is even an option.) In addition, do you encourage the students to develop and share their own notebooks for group work. (Again, as an English professor, I have students peer-edit their papers before submission.)

Again, you are most kind to share these with the forum.

Tom

Those aren't my videos, but I do like them. I teach short courses, and share the whole notebook. Because they are short courses, I don't have much opportunity for peer exchange of information.

I'm going to do some online courses that will be spread over several weeks, and I plan to update my notebook as we go (even if everything is ready in advance).

Tom

1) Do you use track changes in Word? One reason I returned the Surface 2 was due to a lack of space for the student's paper and my comments. However, with the new 3:2 ratio, the SP3 may work better.

I'm wrestling with several options for reviewing documents. Here's what I've found so far:

A) MS-Word docs and track changes -- I normally would do that when my SP3 is connected to an external monitor, so space isn't an issue. Zoomed out to see comments on the side is too small for my eyes, but it's easy to pan and to zoom in or out. I generally like viewing at page width. That said, I've never really liked Word's track changes. I recently tried Word's inking on my SP3, and that worked great. Basically, I wrote in red over everything. I got positive reviews from the author of the document. I'll probably stick with inking unless someone specifically asks for traditional track changes.

B) PDF files -- I've tried Onenote (importing is fine, but exporting is dodgy), MS-Word (decent), and Xournal (not bad but a bit buggy) for marking up PDF files. The built-in app stinks. I ended up getting the Drawboard PDF app from the MS store, and that works the best for me..

2) I have read that the text in the desktop applications look horrible. All the demo models I have seen do not have Office installed on them for me to test this feature.

Text looks fine to me.

Tsurugaya

Does anyone know if you can take shorter clips from a YouTube video and insert them in OneNote, and late be able to replay even if you're not online.

OP
Rugbyguy541

Rugbyguy541

Does anyone know if you can take shorter clips from a YouTube video and insert them in OneNote, and late be able to replay even if you're not online.

This is a TOTAL stab in the dark, but an idea. You can DL videos with hypertube. You can edit them, then insert it into one note. Seems like alot of work, but that's one way I can think of getting it done.

Tsurugaya

That is a lot of work and more importantly I think it would interrupt my flow. The lecturer may show a YouTube video on our screens and that is when it would be beneficial to make a clip, usually they are no more than ten to fifteen seconds long, and then annotate it with my thoughts.

I now realize that you are talking about a self-study session, I was thinking of a class situation.

Mack

Hi All,

I just got the surface pro 3 and I am looking for an app (or solution on OneNote) wherein I can create flashcards that I can actually write on (just as if it were an actual flashcard). Apps like Flashcards Pro and School Binder require that you type something on both sides of the flashcard or insert an image; you cannot write on the cards.

Any suggestions?

Also, where can I find the most comprehensive OneNote tutorial for students?

Thanks,
Mack