What's new

The Surface Pro 3 , or not ?

fatexl

Hi Guys ! I like the lastest Surface Pro 3 a lot , but there’s something that makes me wonder is it actually worth it or not.
After two years since Surface is launched , the 3rd generation of Surface Pro is finally the Surface Pro that MIGHT be worth to buy. But think about it , Windows 9 is expected to be released at Q3 or Q4 next year. And IF I bought the Surface Pro 3 now and I upgrade to Windows 9 next year, it may be not as compatible as it was be. And i’m going to buy the i7 256 GB version. So do you think I should really buy it this time , or wait until the Surface Pro 4 , again.

P.S. : I lived in a country , where Surface always takes decades to arrive ( Luckily the Surface Pro 3 will arrive at my country at " the end of August " , and I'm not sure if they release the i7 version with it OR NOT ) , we don't even has Surface Pro 2 released.

It’d be great if you guys could reply this and give me some suggestions. Thanks 

You can wait. My thinking though has been if you always wait, you will never invest because when the SP4 comes there will be a reason to then wait for the next version. The question I ask is does this product solve an important problem for me? I just bought the SP2 a few months ago. Unfortunately then the SP3 came out. Yes I took a hit by selling the 2 now and jumping to the 3, but the issues I personally had with the 2 are solved in most ways by the 3. Enthusiasts are already saying they want to wait until the next chip in the late fall. Makes sense if the battery life is really your big issue. I am investing now as the screen size, thickness, and other features help me with my issues. Just my 2 cents.

kevinlevrone

I will wait at least until the Broadwell version comes out, which will probably be in 6 months from now. I really enjoy the portability of the SP2, I don't quite like the size of the SP3. However, they could do the best of both worlds by slimming the bezels of the next Suface Pro and fitting a large screen in a small form factor. I hate when tech companies just choose to copy each other year after year and no one comes out with this "idea" of very slim bezels.

Why do I need 1 inch of black useless area on each side of the screen ? Why doesn't anyone see this problem ?

And why do they think that everyone wants to take handwritten notes and draw sketches and needs a digitizer and a stylus ? Just to give their marketing department something to brag with ? There are so many customers that would enjoy a digitizer-less but cheaper tablet, with very slim bezels...

End of rant.

Last edited:

DanL

In the tech world "faster, better, newer" is always just around the corner. How long you want to wait depends on your own situation. I would be more inclined to just dive in. There are no guarantees as to when the SP4 will arrive. When it does, if there is something you have to have, you can always trade/sell and upgrade.

Jvette

I don't think upgrading a SP3 to Windows 9 in the future is going to be a problem and the next greatest chip may give a little better battery life but that may be the only noticeable difference. If I needed a tablet I would go ahead and buy this one.

OP
F

fatexl

Okay. Thanks for all your suggestions. I don't think anyone would buy or trade my old SP3. This device is not really that " Hot " in my country. But my decision is made , im getting the SP3. The broadwell chips upgrade ( That's rumored to be on the SP4 ) is not a big matter for me.

Seneleron

Keep in mind, there's a difference between "Broadwell" which is the replacement for haswell, and "Broadwell M" which, from what I've been reading, is nowhere NEAR as big an upgrade. . and may well be used in the SP4.

I don't have a LOT of information on it, so if anyone can either expand or refute, I'd be very happy to be proven incorrect :)

kevinlevrone

Keep in mind, there's a difference between "Broadwell" which is the replacement for haswell, and "Broadwell M" which, from what I've been reading, is nowhere NEAR as big an upgrade. . and may well be used in the SP4.

I don't have a LOT of information on it, so if anyone can either expand or refute, I'd be very happy to be proven incorrect :)

You mean Core M. The Core M is built on Broadwell architecture and it is very power efficient, more powerful than an Atom but less powerful than a core i3 built on Broadwell. Microsoft will always use fast chips in their Surface Pros so the Core M will certainly not power ALL of their devices in the future, but they may also build cheaper devices in which they replace the Haswell i3 with a Core M sometime in the near future. Or even use the Core M in the (hypothetical) Surface Mini Pro.