What's new

the Surface surface ! Very angry!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew

That said, given your other thread about how heavy the Surface RT is for your one-handed use case, the Surface 2 isn't going to help you anyway. You should resell and get a sub-10 inch plastic tablet.
Ugh, I've got to make a decision on that. I REALLY like Windows RT and HATE OS7. But the weight! The weight! I don't know what I'm going to do.
I've narrowed it down to either going back for the Surface 2 or going back to get the Ipad Mini 2.
God I hate the boring uncustomizable home screen. Hate it! Even the icons suck.
But if the Surface 2 silver finish is going to scratch off... that might just push me to Apple.

Last edited:

jollywombat

The paint finish on the surface pro 2 is surprisingly fragile admittedly. Within a few days of getting mine I ordered the full body protection skin from BodyGuardz and applied it. Makes it easier for me to hold, is clear so still get the look of the device but admittedly with a glossy shine. I look at it as any tablet that I am paying over 200 for I am going to put some protection on so it lasts as long as possible and so I don't have to go to extremes to baby it to prevent scratches.

For what the surface pro 2 is, I will tolerate the paint issue by just spending $20 for some protection and enjoy the 99.9% other features of the tablet other than its paint =p

beman39

Ugh, I've got to make a decision on that. I REALLY like Windows RT and HATE OS7. But the weight! The weight! I don't know what I'm going to do.
I've narrowed it down to either going back for the Surface 2 or going back to get the Ipad Mini 2.
But if the Surface 2 silver finish is going to scratch off... that might just push me to Apple.

Pffft, I wouldn't worry about it, it's just one person who has an issue with the paint, I think it seems silly not to buy a great device because of that. I have both Surface RT and now the S2 and haven't had a problem with the paint... but hey, it's your decision....

oion

If you like Windows RT, I wonder if you can find a much cheaper non-MS WinRT tablet on eBay now or even their respective manufacturer sites. The other makers discontinued theirs, that is. Obviously, you run the risk of little/no support going that route, but I believe the other RT tablets from last year were plastic and thus lighter.

I don't worry about the coating issue myself and am still debating whether to get a skin or not. S2, though. I wouldn't think twice about putting a skin, even a clear one, on the dark-coated ones.

MS really needs to just stop the coating thing.

OP
R

reach

Pffft, I wouldn't worry about it, it's just one person who has an issue with the paint, I think it seems silly not to buy a great device because of that. I have both Surface RT and now the S2 and haven't had a problem with the paint... but hey, it's your decision....

Did you notice that device costs 1.280EUR? And I don't think only "my" painting is rubbish.
It's a device made for mobile use, but if you place it on a regular kitches table you'll end up with scratches making it lose it's value immediately.
Sure one can live with that, but WHY?
More and more the SP2 appears to me like a prototype from a startup company, working in a shed. If it was, I could forgive this and that, but this is f..ing Microsoft we're talking about!

beman39

no offence but from your pics you posted, it isn't THAT bad... unless they're really poor quality but I don't think so, and LOGICALLY there is NO WAY you babied that and ended with scratches like that! I didn't/don't baby my Surfaces (both) and never got scratches like that and like I posted earlier I have put them on all types of surfaces carelessly. maybe the device you got was an early batch and the paint was defective? dunno man I cant see your device scratching like that for nothing... but that's just me. Maybe someone else is fooling around with your device and you don't know? I don't know if you live alone or have kids and married or relatives but SOMETHING doesn't add up.

DragonGamer

Looks like there are people here around with completly different types of usage, lol.
Looking at the picture it looks like you placed it on some hard material like metal which wasn't perfectly smooth... Together with the higher weight of the surface Pro 2, that unfortunately results in such small scratches :/
For this reason (since I oftenly use it flat on foreign tables at college) I personally placed 4 transparent rubber nips on the back and I think they doesn't look too bad.

Anyways, a skin would be the better solution.
Does anyone know a company which produces custom skins? That means with your own art so you can design the case on your own.
I know a few like Design - Schutz-Folien - Cases - 123 Skins (a german one) but they dun support the MS Surfaces :(
EDIT: Nvm, found on DecalGirl :)

Last edited:

oion

no offence but from your pics you posted, it isn't THAT bad... unless they're really poor quality but I don't think so, and LOGICALLY there is NO WAY you babied that and ended with scratches like that! I didn't/don't baby my Surfaces (both) and never got scratches like that and like I posted earlier I have put them on all types of surfaces carelessly. maybe the device you got was an early batch and the paint was defective? dunno man I cant see your device scratching like that for nothing... but that's just me. Maybe someone else is fooling around with your device and you don't know? I don't know if you live alone or have kids and married or relatives but SOMETHING doesn't add up.

Just chill, kiddo. You're not helping anyone with the whole "Well MINE doesn't do that so CLEARLY you're wrong" attitude.

OP isn't the only one who's reported scratching on his Surface Pro 1/2, as there have been other threads here about it, with varying degrees of seriousness (some of the more serious chipping looked like a manufacturing fault, but we'll never know how people use their devices either). We also don't now is just how common this is in the grand scheme of things, but then different people will have different tolerances. The real problem is that Microsoft has been positioning the Surfaces, especially the Pro line, as premium products to compete against Apple. When you buy a premium product, you expect a whole lot more out of it.

To the OP, I suspect MS stuck with the existing VaporMg chassis/coating tech because it saves money from the first Pro run in terms of extant manufacturing procedure; there's just no way around this, but hopefully MS will move away from coatings with the third gen. You could bring it up on the official MS boards and maybe real employees can spot the issue. Otherwise, skin or bust. And the optional Complete warranty for accidental damage.

Looks like there are people here around with completly different types of usage, lol.
Looking at the picture it looks like you placed it on some hard material like metal which wasn't perfectly smooth... Together with the higher weight of the surface Pro 2, that unfortunately results in such small scratches :/
For this reason (since I oftenly use it flat on foreign tables at college) I personally placed 4 transparent rubber nips on the back and I think they doesn't look too bad.

Anyways, a skin would be the better solution.
Does anyone know a company which produces custom skins? That means with your own art so you can design the case on your own.
I know a few like Design - Schutz-Folien - Cases - 123 Skins (a german one) but they dun support the MS Surfaces :(

I only know about Decalgirl: http://www.decalgirl.com/index.htm

The rubbery nib idea isn't bad either.

Dane

I know how you feel about having something new and seeing it get marred so easily. If it bothers you to the point of not being able to enjoy the device, you should probably sell it (assuming you can't return it). If you're like me though, after enough time, the honeymoon period wears off with my latest toy and I don't see the nicks and dents as much, or at the very least, they don't bother me as much.

CrippsCorner

I've got one scratch on my Surface which was totally my own fault, and very gutting! It's been on holiday with me and survived... tbh I've not got the tiniest mark anywhere else, maybe I'm very lucky? Man, I thought I was OCD until I joined up here lol. To the OP, it's obviously heartbreaking when something like this happens to your new device, but honestly I wouldn't bother returning it if it were me, it's no where near bad enough for that.

You'll only end up scratching the new one as well! These things happen unfortunately. This is why I know I can never own a brand new car lol, I'd be paranoid as hell. What else do you spend thousands on and leave it outside!?

jollywombat

The rubber nib idea is great FYI, well done for a creative solution.

Unsure how this thread became a flame war to one person here, but its a valid concern and issue for the coating, and varies of course depending on usage, batch of product, and handling. Lets keep this constructive :)

oion

I've got one scratch on my Surface which was totally my own fault, and very gutting! It's been on holiday with me and survived... tbh I've not got the tiniest mark anywhere else, maybe I'm very lucky? Man, I thought I was OCD until I joined up here lol. To the OP, it's obviously heartbreaking when something like this happens to your new device, but honestly I wouldn't bother returning it if it were me, it's no where near bad enough for that.

You'll only end up scratching the new one as well! These things happen unfortunately. This is why I know I can never own a brand new car lol, I'd be paranoid as hell. What else do you spend thousands on and leave it outside!?

In the practical sense, I highly doubt OP can return/exchange it simply because that's pure cosmetic damage under the warranty and not even the known manufacturing flaw; people have had problems exchanging for the manufacturing flaw over the phone/online because it's still classified as cosmetic, yet had more success at actual MS stores, but I don't believe OP would be successful even with that option because again, it's not the manufacturing flaw.

Agree about the new car bit--I usually see those "fancy" cars parked far away at the edges/corners of store parking lots to avoid dings, but if they do get a scratch, I imagine the owner is rich enough to get it fixed. :p As for scratching it up again, that's where a skin comes in.

The rubber nib idea is great FYI, well done for a creative solution.

Unsure how this thread became a flame war to one person here, but its a valid concern and issue for the coating, and varies of course depending on usage, batch of product, and handling. Lets keep this constructive :)

It's just beman39. His posting style is basement-gamer and he's one of the most hardcore defenders of Surface on this board, much like Apple fanboys.

Thing is, I think hardware is of higher importance than software issues (firmware and bugs) because the latter is fixable, though it may take time and require a workaround. There's no fixing hardware imperfections ever, and use cases are going to vary a whole lot, but it's perfectly reasonable to assume the Surface should be tough as a premium product. Not like a Panasonic Toughbook/Let's Note, but it's still a valid concern because the build quality is supposed to be competitive with iStuff, which is the entire point of going to magnesium/Gorilla glass in the first place. MS could have just as easily gone with a plastic shell like every other Win tablet on the market. Did the OP unknowingly abuse his Surface? Possible, but no one would ever think that of their own usage.

@OP: At this point, I don't believe you'll be successful in returning for that type of cosmetic damage, so you could resell and buy new if you really wanted to (too much effort for anyone to go through over that type of damage) or just buy a full skin set like Stickerboy and use it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.