What's new

The Unnecessary Power of Computer Gaming

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reference: Taming the Energy of Gaming Computers | Tech.pinions - Perspective, Insight, Analysis

I was thinking about how a Surface Pro 4 is all the computer most anyone needs and all the wasted power of computer gaming. A quick Internet search for "amount of power wasted by game computers" turned up the above research on energy of gaming computers.

Gaming PCs consumed roughly 75 billion kilowatt-hours per year of electricity globally in 2012, or approximately 20% of all personal desktop computer, notebook, and console energy usage combined. For context, this corresponds to about $10 billion per year in energy expenditures or the equivalent electrical output of 25 typical electric power plants.

The EPA should just shut this down, period.

We made all cars become more energy efficient. Why not make all computers more energy efficient. We have the technology. There are relatively very few things that cannot run in the power of an SP4. Even fewer that shouldn't be able to run in the power of a Surface Pro 4.

Let it be so.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
"a Surface Pro 4 is all the computer most anyone needs"
LOL Channeling Bill Gates there. :D

Just thought Id take that first shot since it was too easy. ;)

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure I understand the point here.

Gaming needs much more powerful hardware than an SP4.
Why? Is the point. It uses power because it's there, almost as if using more power was the goal. Man did you see the power my new game requires, it's killer, everyone will need to get more powerful (power wasting) hardware.

Clearly with Direct X 12 vast improvements are in reach just through software alone not to mention hardware efficiency advancements.

Why should this industry be so power inefficient? If they changed their ways and with across the board efficiency improvements to all computers, we could take 50 power plants offline.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why should anyone get a say over how powerful my computer is? This argument can be used for anything. Televisions, kitchen appliances, showers, window glazing, insulation.

Maybe we should ban or regulate all offices. If they have an sp4 then there is no need for workstations etc. How many offices have computers that are more powerful than their function?

Bug out of my personal business :)

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why should anyone get a say over how powerful my computer is? This argument can be used for anything. Televisions, kitchen appliances, showers, window glazing, insulation.

Maybe we should ban or regulate all offices. If they have an sp4 then there is no need for workstations etc. How many offices have computers that are more powerful than their function?

Bug out of my personal business :)
Well just for you... Look, you've already given up your right to own a gun so why should you be allowed to kill me and everyone else on the planet with your energy wasting game computer. You already have regulations for automobiles, window glazing, insulation, showers... shall I go on? No I shan't. Accept it, it's your birthright. :)

daniielrp

Well just for you... Look, you've given up your right to own a gun so why should you be allowed to kill me and everyone else on the planet with your energy wasting game computer. You already have regulations for automobiles, window glazing, insulation, showers... shall I go on? No I shan't. Accept it, it's your birthright. :)
You keep calling it 'waste' energy - Why?

All PCs, including gaming ones will ramp up and down power use so will only using significant power when gaming.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
You keep calling it 'waste' energy - Why?

All PCs, including gaming ones will ramp up and down power use so will only using significant power when gaming.
I think this outlines the basic premise difference. You say it uses power because it has to. I say it never tried to use less power and it most certainly could.

daniielrp

But they do - hardware and software is all optimised to make the best use of the power available.

Some AAA titles will use more power obviously, because that's their purpose - to take the power available and turn it in to the best possible experience for the user.

Are you saying game developers should just give up?

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm saying they should go on a power diet and there should be a limit to the amount of power consumed. Maybe 15W is a stretch goal for 10 years out and today maybe the limit should be 60W or 30W, pick a number but definitely not unlimited.

If you consider what can be done in 15W compared to just five years ago it's incredible. A three year pause may mean almost no change at all to games. Would you suggest they not try to reduce power usage? They optimize games but just to use every available watt in the system. It's not the same thing, using as much power as possible vs as little power as possible. It is kind of important to limit overall power usage. Should games be exempt? To me games should be the fist place to look for power reductions.

kundas1

why pick on the games? I can think of a MILLION other things to pick on! firstly all these corporations that use a redonkulous amounts of wasted energy is just 1 of the million things out there that are power hungry and waste power more than anything else on the planet... and yes when gaming you need to utilize all the power you can muster to have the BEST experience FOR THE GAMER. also its not like the gaming rig consumes vast amounts of power all day long 24/7 the average gamer plays between 4 to 8 hrs every other day (not even every day) sorry but I'm a gamer and I don't need you to cripple my gaming experience because some energy conservation Nazi's idea of trying to tell me what to do when gaming lol