What's new

The update is here (UK)!

OP
C

CreativeLemming

I'd like to take this a step further if I may because I'm wondering if this firmware is working good on the newer units than it is on the units with the botched firmware issues. Not necessarily working better but since Microsoft was 3-4 days late getting this out then there is a good chance that it isn't totally complete as CreativeLemming has suggested.

For me:

New Unit (after botched firmware)
Got the new firmware
No Problems

What does device manager say for the dates of your firmware drivers? Mine is still dated December, although the boot screen definitely updated the firmware and windows update reports no failures.

I saw a message on the MS forums that somebody has later drivers, hence my reason for asking.

macmee

just installed the update here in toronto. on a 4200u 128gb unit, cant tell whats different yet - my SP2 was stable all throughout

Do you own a touch or type cover of any version? Many problems are centered around the covers.

MickeyLittle

What does device manager say for the dates of your firmware drivers? Mine is still dated December, although the boot screen definitely updated the firmware and windows update reports no failures.

I saw a message on the MS forums that somebody has later drivers, hence my reason for asking.

If this is what you are looking for it seems to be dated 12/20/2013. Firmware Info.PNG

Knuck111

This erratic roll out schedule makes no sense. I suspect the firmware update is dependant on the SP2s update history and is probably more of a fix to previous updates than it is a new update in the traditional sense. My SP2 has worked fine, no firmware update issues and no surprise that I am not offered this new firmware update.

jrapdx

Strange "waves" indeed.

As of 92 seconds ago, no firmware update here. Don't know whether my SP2 is "eligible" for it or not, but as of this AM, the only update is the daily "Defender Definition" love letter.

Auto update is disabled, as I prefer to know what's coming in before it hits. I'll keep an eye on what's in the queue...

jrapdx

... My SP2 has worked fine, no firmware update issues and no surprise that I am not offered this new firmware update.

You may be right, not being offered the firmware could be a stroke of luck... :)

So far, no such "offers" here either.

MickeyLittle

This erratic roll out schedule makes no sense. I suspect the firmware update is dependant on the SP2s update history and is probably more of a fix to previous updates than it is a new update in the traditional sense. My SP2 has worked fine, no firmware update issues and no surprise that I am not offered this new firmware update.

But there is no rhyme or reason here because I got my tablet in 2014 and I got the update rolled out to me.

mennogreg

According to Winbeta:

we need to preface this by stating that the update may not be complete. In other words, there’s a chance Microsoft will be handling this a bit at a time, with multiple different fixes hitting the market. You should also beware that this is obviously a gradual process. You may get it today or tomorrow or next week.

“I've asked Microsoft officials to confirm that the firmware update that is rolling out for Surface Pro 2 is the awaited fix for the battery-life/cover problems reported in December. I've also asked for an update as to when all Surface Pro 2 users should get the firmware update”, Foley stated in a post today.

girarcat

Today I found a 75Mb Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems, but it said nothing about firmware. Was that the firmware update or it has nothing to do with it?