What's new

Thermal Shutdown

ThEGr33k

Hello,

I am new here as I have only just recently got myself a Surface Pro (2 days ago). Have wanted one since I first saw them announced but they have always been a tiny bit expensive for me.

I have been putting it through its paces since getting it and loving the majority of the experience (few Win8 niggles that are silly in design). So I knew from some reviews that the Surface Pro can run Civilisation 5 and has touch screen integration; perfect!

So downloaded installed and then played it, was on it for about 3 hours when suddenly I got a black screen up for maybe half a second with if I remember right (very brief) a thermometer looking thing and it said something along the lines of "too hot, thermal shut down".

It shocked me a little as I expected it would just throttle down and carry on if at somewhat deteriorated CPU/GPU speeds. The room was getting hot, I only really noticed when it did this, so not unbearable.

Done some searching and have found nothing about others having this happen, so anyone in the know able to let me know what the craic might be with this?

Regards,

Gr33k

drolem

The SP2 has several temperature sensors, and if either one exceeds its limit, the SP2 will be shut down to prevent damage.

OP
T

ThEGr33k

I assume it is the same for the SP1? It isn't a big issue I guess, this isn't meant to be my gaming computer, will avoid heavy gaming and take that to the water cooled silly machine I have... ha ha.

Cheers for the response!

weesals

Haven't had that happen to me yet, but you might be able to set the GPU to power saving while plugged in to keep it cooler. Installing newer Intel drivers might help too (or at least give you more options).

drolem

Actually, in this case ambient temperature and unobstructed airflow through the cooling vents are more important factors than various power saving measures.