What's new

Things I Like & Dislike about the Surface 3

kristalsoldier

I quite like the S3. First things first, it has totally replaced my iPad Air. I use the S3 as a pure tablet (browsing, reading, inking). What I like about it: (1) aspect ratio; (2) lightweight; (3) fanless (and it stays cool); (4) nice screen.

However, I also think there are some areas in which it could be improved: (1) better battery-life; (2) It could be a bit more fluid (this is most likely a function of W10 rather than the S3 though I do think the device is a trifle under-powered.

One thing that I think the S3 lacks is cover. By this I mean an attachment that works just like the Type KB, but without the keys. In other words, it would be like the Touch Cover without the keyboard mechanism.

Otherwise, it is an excellent device (for my purposes - of course, YMMV).

HeavyHanded

I love many things about the S3.
LIKE:
1) Screen is awesome
2) Outstanding Build Quality
3) Type Cover is Fantastic
4) Pen is really good.
5) Long battery life
6) Ability to connect to any device
7) Lightweight

DISLIKE:
1) Sometimes it loses touch input. I have to reboot
2) Sometimes it won't connect to wifi, I have to reboot
3) Pen lines get a bit squiggly when drawing slow lines.
4) Sometimes it freezes and won't respond for a few seconds.
5) Slow charging
6) Cannot use my USB Blu-ray drive without USB-powered hub.
Still, I love it and wouldn't ever want to replace it. I replaced my iPad Air

mobilelawyer

I really like the Surface 3. I got the ATT model with LTE. I am a lawyer and use it almost exclusively for email, and word processing. It is just fine for what I use it for. I don't need video editing ability nor do I play any games. Nor do I have a plethora of programs loaded.

LoriMomof9

I am still trying to set mine up all the way.... I ended up with 2 microsoft accounts - so trying to fix and transfer OneNote over.... So far, I LOVE it!!! I am replacing an iPad Air 2 (in mint condition) with my Surface 3!!! I can't wait to install adobe Creative Cloud and try Photoshop. I want to see if I can get a download of Sketchbook Pro - see which works best....

I am disappointed in some of the Windows Apps - Facebook is useless - so I open it in a Chrome Browser.... Not sure if I will install Android - depends which apps I would need to use....

I have an i7 laptop with ALL the bells and whistles - but it is NO way portable. So I am planning on using my Surface in my bedroom and taking it with me to do a little bit of drawing / calligraphy and PS applications. I will use it like my other tablets.... :)

bronsky

... One thing that I think the S3 lacks is cover. By this I mean an attachment that works just like the Type KB, but without the keys. In other words, it would be like the Touch Cover without the keyboard mechanism.

I would actually like to see MS bring back the touch cover. I thought it was a great solution. The one made for the SP2 was incredibly responsive. I think I would use it as my main cover and take the type cover along only where I was going to be doing more serious typing.

I dislike very little about my S3. I guess it could use more power. Maybe a Core M (which I don't think will ever happen). But, as the Atom continues to improve, later generations of this nearly perfect tablet will get faster. I would like to see the improvements in the SP4 incorporated into the Surface 4. I think the pixel sense controller and new keyboard design are no brainers.