What's new

Think I'm about to get a Surface RT, what's the diffirence between that and the 2

Stu9

Will i be making the right choice, the RT's still got 32gb storage, i know it's got the Tegra 3 cpu, is it still a 1.7 quad core....would i be as well going for the 2

OP
S

Stu9

Doesn't matter, i Googled them, the 2's slightly qicker and ports in diffirent places, also moved the charger slot up a bit....i'll maybe look for a 2

macmee

The Surface Pro 2 is x86, it runs full Windows and will run all Windows apps. The Surface RT only runs apps from the Windows Store, as well as the built in apps in Windows.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Gen 1 Surface RT was a great Tablet, I used it for year. Depending on what you want to use it for it could be a great Tablet for you. But I stand by my assessment of the two as someone who has used both. But for the price of RT right now it is a great deal. Upgrade it to 8.1/RT and it is even better...

OP
S

Stu9

It'll just be genaral brousing, vid playback, emailing, no gaming, need to Google 8.1, don't know what it is

Matthew

The Surface RT might as well not even have a camera its so bad. The Surface 2's camera is great.
Windows 8.1 is on both if you do the updates.
The Surface 2 has a lot better resolution and you notice it. The text is less jaggy and blocky.
The Surface 2 kickstand has 2 positions, the RT has 1.

It doesn't matter to everyone but I used the RT for about a week then took it back to Best Buy. All because of the resolution (and the weight and camera). If those don't matter to you then get the RT. I never had speed problems with it or thought it was slow.

OP
S

Stu9

The Surface RT might as well not even have a camera its so bad. The Surface 2's camera is great.
Windows 8.1 is on both if you do the updates.
The Surface 2 has a lot better resolution and you notice it. The text is less jaggy and blocky.
The Surface 2 kickstand has 2 positions, the RT has 1.

It doesn't matter to everyone but I used the RT for about a week then took it back to Best Buy. All because of the resolution (and the weight and camera). If those don't matter to you then get the RT. I never had speed problems with it or thought it was slow.

Yes I know about the differences now, also looked a few vids where they've had the 8.1 upgrade. I think the RT would do me fine

Is it really just the cpu in the 2 that makes the speed difference, and is it that much for the home user

OP
S

Stu9

A friend's now offered me her ipad 3, she said it's just as good if not better than the RT....i was ready to go for the RT and upgrade to 8.1 (if not allready done), she's just put a bloody spanner in the works