What's new

Think I'm about to get a Surface RT, what's the diffirence between that and the 2

jimkraz

Stu9, no she hasn't, the Surface is a different machine all-together, you get a FULL sized usb port to connect, keyboard, mouse, pen drive, hard drive, etc., can't do that out of the box with a iPad, it stands up on it's own, can't do that with iPad, you can connect to your wireless network, print from wireless printer, out of the box, connect to other PCs via wireless and drag n drop files, you can put in a 64gig Micro SD card out of the box, can't do that with iPad, you get Microsoft Office installed, you have to connect a iPad to your PC through iTunes to add music, books, movies, you don't with a Surface RT. I have both Surface RT and a Surface Pro, the Surface Pro has replaced my desktop, I'll say no more. Jim

OP
S

Stu9

Stu9, no she hasn't, the Surface is a different machine all-together, you get a FULL sized usb port to connect, keyboard, mouse, pen drive, hard drive, etc., can't do that out of the box with a iPad, it stands up on it's own, can't do that with iPad, you can connect to your wireless network, print from wireless printer, out of the box, connect to other PCs via wireless and drag n drop files, you can put in a 64gig Micro SD card out of the box, can't do that with iPad, you get Microsoft Office installed, you have to connect a iPad to your PC through iTunes to add music, books, movies, you don't with a Surface RT. I have both Surface RT and a Surface Pro, the Surface Pro has replaced my desktop, I'll say no more. Jim

Fair enough....yea i'm used to working with usb and thought it'd maybe be a pita having to work with the cloud all the time you want to trasnfer stuff ie photos ect....but there's plenty have them, ipads that is

[video=youtube;91LUTBFtBgY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91LUTBFtBgY[/video]

:)

Yea i've saw a few vids now comparing this and that, and i'm still torn between them

To be honest though, i've never had or worked with an ipad, my mother's got the 3, i've a had a souple of small go's on it but that's it, nothing serious

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
A friend's now offered me her ipad 3, she said it's just as good if not better than the RT....i was ready to go for the RT and upgrade to 8.1 (if not allready done), she's just put a bloody spanner in the works

Do you want to be able to do real work? If yes, get the RT. iPads don't have access to a full functioning version of Office or a Full Browser.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Cortana is the AI in the HALO Universe, also rumored to be the name of the Voice Assistant that is coming to Phone 8.1, Windows 8.1/RT Update 1 or Threshold and Xbox One.

CrippsCorner

Best voice assistant I've used so far is the one built into Chrome... so much better than Siri. Still pretty much useless though, I think it's all a bit of a fad.

I see

Well....i'm still torn between an ipad 3 and RT.....dilemas dilemas
The iPad 3 is perhaps the worst iPad generation. It was the first with a retina display but still had the older processor. It is sluggish (relative to the iPad 4 and 2) and runs hot. An iPad 4 running iOS 6.1.3 is in my opinion the best iPad/iOS combo.

I have both an iPad 4 and Surface RT. If I was going to use the device primarily as a tablet, I'd opt for the iPad 4. If I was going to use the device as a netbook, then I'd get the RT. In any case, I would avoid an iPad 3.