What's new

Thinking about returning my surface.

LA33R

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about returning my surface on the simple fact that it seems... "Slow".

Don't get my wrong, I love the hardware it's self and its a great toy, but the device itself is rather slow. General loading of app's takes forever compared the my mothers iPad, and don't worry, I won't be rushing to buy an iPad first thing if I return this device. I've tried system refresh and restore with no avail to speeding up the unit, and this is my second device as the other one I returned was slow, but that one wasn't restoring either.

I'm wondering if anyone else if having problems with their devices, and am I still allowed to return my surface for a full refund? The surface itself has no scratches and is in 'as new' condition, but I'm wondering if I am a little late. It will be tomorrow (07/11/12) that I call Microsoft to return this device for a refund - if I can - but I thought I'd give this forum another shot, see if you lot can give me tips on speeding the device up, changing my mind on returning it.

~ LA33R

J515OP

Super Moderator
There is nothing wrong with iPads if that is what you want, we won't judge :) Unfortunately I think the Surface RT is just slower than other devices. Every review I have read and the comments here all confirm launching apps is slow and many of the apps and desktop features don't run smoothly. It doesn't appear this is a hardware issue since some things like the start screen run smoothly and flawlessly. It will take some updates both from MS and app developers to get the speed.

Maybe you can come back and try Surface again when Pro is released or when Surface 2 is out :D

JP

leeshor

This situation will likely change with RT v1.1.;)

My experience is that all tablets have had some sort of issue with the first software release. As Android has evolved the OS has gotten much smoother and for many users quite a bit faster. The same will happen with RT.

mapexvenus

I am having several performance issues as well. I just posted about this too. I don't know if I will return my tablet but i just might and then give the pro a try next year.

richto

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about returning my surface on the simple fact that it seems... "Slow".

Don't get my wrong, I love the hardware it's self and its a great toy, but the device itself is rather slow. General loading of app's takes forever compared the my mothers iPad, and don't worry, I won't be rushing to buy an iPad first thing if I return this device. I've tried system refresh and restore with no avail to speeding up the unit, and this is my second device as the other one I returned was slow, but that one wasn't restoring either.

I'm wondering if anyone else if having problems with their devices, and am I still allowed to return my surface for a full refund? The surface itself has no scratches and is in 'as new' condition, but I'm wondering if I am a little late. It will be tomorrow (07/11/12) that I call Microsoft to return this device for a refund - if I can - but I thought I'd give this forum another shot, see if you lot can give me tips on speeding the device up, changing my mind on returning it.

~ LA33R

As far as I can see, Microsoft's UK Store website is not Distance Selling Regulation compliant, so under UK law, you have 3 months and 7 days from delivery to request the contract be cancelled and receive a full refund instead of the normal 7 days. Microsoft must refund within 30 days of your notification of cancellation regardless of if they have picked up the goods (which they must pay for the return of).

Be aware that Microsoft UK Store support is simply shocking and is the worst shambles I have ever come across in many years of online shopping.

I first complained that my tablet had not arrived on the date commited to on the order - and was told i would be sent a voucher in compensation - I never received it.

When I finally received my tablet it was heavily damaged with a mangled box and a smashed screen. I tried for 2 hours on the phone via repeated calls to get it replaced - and was repeatedly told someone would call me back to resolve and no one did. They also point blank refused to let me speak to a supervisor or acknowledge that any sort of complaints process existed.

I therefore went the DSR cancel contract route and the 30 days are ticking. So far they have sent me an email acknowledging the cancel request, and telling me that i would get a return label - that was nearly a week ago and nothing received yet. Their refund T&Cs also seem to be in breach of the DSR and state that a refund is dependent on prior return of the goods, rather than the within 30 days from cancel request stated in law. See http://www.out-law.com/page-430#Refunds

From experience my credit card company will enforce the law via a chargeback if it becomes necessary....they seem to be run out of Ireland which makes doing it via the Small Clams court a bit more more awkward. But not impossible: http://www.out-law.com/page-10387

For reference i did finally get an email address for them: Store.STOR.EU.00.EN.ARV.BRS.PS.T01.SPT.00.PI@css.one.microsoft.com

Last edited:

Afy

I am sorry to hear that your Surface arrived damaged. That has to do with the shipper not MS per se. I would be very surprised if your issues cant be addressed satisfactorily.

Moving on to why apps seem to be slow is that they appear to be trying to connect to the internet by default. I have not looked into the API thus far, and suspect this to be the root cause. Maybe a design shift is required

NGC

I spent an hour with the Surface RT and found that it is MUCH faster than my Ipad 2. I was so impressed with how well built the Surface is and the Type keyboard worked great to type on and use as a stabilizer on your lap with the rear stand.

TrentonT

I cannot talk to the comparison to an iPad but I have both an Asus TF101 and TF201 both of which are snails compared to the Surface.
Add the fact that you can do real work on the Surface I fnd it the most capable pad I have used to date.
It gives me the excuss to take this to the office and on business trips.

mapexvenus

Hey guys,

~ LA33R
Did you end up returning your Surface?

After multiple attempts, including a full system restore, my Surface continues to frustrate me. My 14-day return period expired yesterday and I chose not to return the device hoping that MS would release some kind of performance-enhancing update shortly.

In the meanwhile, the following issues continue to frustrate me:

1. Trackpad behaves erratically
2. Mail app is unusable because of how sluggish it is
3. Overall performance is sluggish
4. Applications quit unexpectedly