What's new

Thinkpad Tablet 2 Keyboard?

heed

I noticed that the Thinkpad Tablet 2's keyboard is Bluetooth and has a built-in trackpoint and stand. Has anyone tried to use it with the Surface Pro?

daniielrp

Well being Bluetooth it should connect, but the stand function looks like it might only fit that specific device.

kkwst2

I noticed that the Thinkpad Tablet 2's keyboard is Bluetooth and has a built-in trackpoint and stand. Has anyone tried to use it with the Surface Pro?

Hey, I'm a long time Thinkpad user and avid trackpoint user. I have never even considered a laptop that didn't have it because I feel it is such a superior navigation tool. I use a trackpoint keyboard on my desktop computers. I also use a Kensington trackball or mouse as well for finer movements in graphics programs.

Well, short story long, I just was not happy with the Lenovo offerings in tablets...some good ideas but poor implementations. I jumped on the recent Surface Pro ebay deal.

The keyboard you are mentioning has a crappy optical implementation of the trackpoint. It isn't the same. If you are not a trackpoint bigot like me, you might not care. But I do. And the stand is probably a bit redundant given the built in kickstand. I guess the stand would make the combo more "lappable" which is a big weakness of the SP.

I bought the Lenovo "Compact Bluetooth Keyboard with Trackpoint" based on good reviews. I got it this morning and it paired easily with the Surface Pro. The advanced drivers that let you control the trackpoint sensitivity even installed automatically (you have to accept a download/install at a prompt that comes up automatically).

So far, it works brilliantly. It seems to stay paired and you seem to be able to use the keyboard to bring the SP out of sleep. The volume and brightness controls work as does the OSD. You can turn the OSD on or off in the controls.

So for me this is the perfect solution. The keyboard has very nice travel and feel, perhaps not as nice as a regular Thinkpad keyboard (those peaked with my T42, and have been downhill from there anyway), but leaps and bounds better than the Type cover IMHO. And the advantage of having trackpoint? Well, I won't get into that. You either get it or you don't.

Now if I could find a case that would allow me to keep the two together that would be perfoect, but I'm happy without it. When the Powercover comes out I may consider that and only use my trackpoint keyboard when I have serious work to do, but for now this is the best solution for me.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

kkwst2

BT Keyboard with Surface Pro.jpg
Cool! Got any pics?

Here is the setup in my lap while riding in the car. Works quite well. Supposedly the bluetooth will hurt your wireless performance. But I haven't noticed any problems, especially when tethered to my phone, where the 4G speeds will probably be the limiting factor anyway.

daniielrp

Supposedly the bluetooth will hurt your wireless performance. But I haven't noticed any problems, especially when tethered to my phone, where the 4G speeds will probably be the limiting factor anyway.

If it's 2.4Ghz it will half the WiFi speed to around 65Mbps (which is still ok), if's its 5GHz it won't affect it.

kristalsoldier

I am a ThinkPad fan too and I love the TP keyboards. I just wish I could use something similar with my Surface 2!!!

beq

Hey, I'm a long time Thinkpad user and avid trackpoint user. I have never even considered a laptop that didn't have it because I feel it is such a superior navigation tool. I use a trackpoint keyboard on my desktop computers.

I bought the Lenovo "Compact Bluetooth Keyboard with Trackpoint" based on good reviews. I got it this morning and it paired easily with the Surface Pro. The advanced drivers that let you control the trackpoint sensitivity even installed automatically (you have to accept a download/install at a prompt that comes up automatically).

So far, it works brilliantly. It seems to stay paired and you seem to be able to use the keyboard to bring the SP out of sleep. The volume and brightness controls work as does the OSD. You can turn the OSD on or off in the controls.

So for me this is the perfect solution. The keyboard has very nice travel and feel, perhaps not as nice as a regular Thinkpad keyboard (those peaked with my T42, and have been downhill from there anyway), but leaps and bounds better than the Type cover IMHO. And the advantage of having trackpoint? Well, I won't get into that. You either get it or you don't.
Thanks!! Ordered one and it's excellent, plan to order a few more.

I did notice that once in awhile, the keyboard would lose Bluetooth connectivity to the SP2 while I'm in the middle of using it, for some reason. When that happens the keyboard's green light would start blinking slowly, and the SP2's PC Settings -> Bluetooth confirms that the connection has been lost. Quickest way for me to fix it is to just turn the keyboard OFF then back ON.

Not sure if the issue is with the keyboard or the SP2. Could be too much 2.4GHz interference where I'm at. At least I try to keep the Wi-Fi in the 5GHz band whenever I can...

beq

Also curious, what's the keyboard's expected battery life, and how long should it take to recharge? Couldn't find those info from the leaflet guide.

And have you had any problems in various apps when using the ThinkPad-style scrolling (which can be toggled in the driver utility)? I'm used to ThinkPad-style scrolling, but it fails to work half the time in Google Chrome on my SP2. It does work much better in Firefox, and IE.

I wish I could get even smoother scrolling though. Contemplating whether to install Logitech SetPoint utility (and its corresponding browser extensions) for extra smooth scrolling. I just don't want to get bogged down with too many mouse/keyboard drivers (Logitech SetPoint, Microsoft Mouse & Keyboard Center, ThinkPad, etc)... I do mix and match mice/keyboards from all those brands though...