What's new

Third Party Chargers

whorne

I've been searching ebay daily to see when a third-party charger for the Surface Pro (48W version) would become available. Today a version became available for approx. $20. I'm going to pull the trigger and I'll let you know how it works.

Do you have a link for the ebay item?
Thanks

BC3

Doesn't look like it. Remember, this is a Chinese knock off for $20. I'm keeping it at my work where I have an abundance of access to USB ports.

Item# 181108113757
C094 Wall Power Charger Adapter For Microsoft Surface 10.6 Windows 8 Pro Tablet

jamearl

Does I go make tip for the Surface? If so, then maybe that's the best way. iGo tip's normally cost only $9.

palmor

Does I go make tip for the Surface? If so, then maybe that's the best way. iGo tip's normally cost only $9.

I have an Energizer Xpal battery and contacted them about a tip for the SPro and this was their response :( So I'm not sure if anyone can actually make and sell a tip legally (if this reply wasn't just BS).

Hi John,

Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately due the patents that Microsoft has on the Surface Pro, we will be unable to provide a tip solution for it. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Thank you and best regards,
Mycah

ArnoldC

The 3rd party charger I ordered from eBay finally arrived after a month.

DSC_0079_zps8117e42b.jpg

In the preceeding photo, you'll find the input voltage specification, 110-220V which is nearly universal. The output voltage specification at 12V / 2A is clearly printed. And we can disregard the connector pin configuration that shows positive center, as this is not the pin of the product.

DSC_0078_zps300ad453.jpg

In the preceeding photo, we number the pins 1-5, from left to right. Pins 1,5 are the ground pins. Pins 2,4 are the positive supply pins which at unloaded state puts out +6V DC (thereabouts). The center pin, pin 3, is supposed to be a control pin. I covered it with tape, and the Surface RT still continues to charge.

This is nearly the same specifications as the Apple MagSafe.

Russ

The center pin, pin 3, is supposed to be a control pin.

Arnold --

re: "control pin" -- Is it supposed to be a feedback circuit to signal when the device is fully charged? If not, what kind of control?

Thanks,
Russ

bjornb

The center pin is called detect, from ifixit teardown step 17:
Microsoft Surface Pro Teardown - Page 3 - iFixit
I have the RT charger which I cut and used to create a cable for my external battery.
I did some tests as well, and found out that the Pro use the blue detect line (center pin) to identify the charger. If you connect the RT 2A charger to the Pro with the center pin masked/disconnected the Surface Pro will try to draw more than 2A (and the charger shuts down).

Last edited:

Russ

Bjornb --

Good info, thanks.

Have you looked at the auto chargers from China?

Auto Chargers from China on eBay

I bought one, but am awaiting its arrival. I plan to approach it the way porcupines make love. Knowing the function of that center pin helps a lot.

By the way, I linked you to "bertopl" in another thread.

Bertopl -- Soldering Ninjas?

You guys need to talk. You have already done some of what he is trying to do.

Back to the chargers from China -- I already know a lot of the goods and bads of China products, so will be careful before I hook one of them up to my Surface Pro -- especially with a whole lotta amperage sitting out there under the hood. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards,
Russ

Last edited:

bjornb

Have you looked at the auto chargers from China?

Auto Chargers from China on eBay

Back to the chargers from China -- I already know a lot of the goods and bads of China products, so will be careful before I hook one of them up to my Surface Pro -- especially with a whole lotta amperage sitting out there under the hood. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I might consider one of those myself as well. What I would do before hooking it up to the Surface is verify that it is voltage regulated, and not just a simple cable between the 12V socket and the Surface. The voltage from a 12V socket in a car varies and can have a voltage of more than 14V when the engine is running (alternator charging). The Surface DC input/charging circuitry may tolerate it, but I wouldnt risk it ;).

I've ordered this Pro charger today so I can have one permanently at work:
EU Wall Power Charger Adapter for Microsoft Surface 10 6 Windows 8 Pro Tab | eBay
I'll let you know how it works when it arrives.