What's new

This has to go back...

ipaq_101

I have run FIFA 2014 and Red Alert 3, Fifa works great because it was optimized for touch, Red Alert 3, not so much, as it is much older and not really meant for touch.

I am not a 100% happy with the SP3 Pro, then again I think the fixes will happen and things will improve. I have the patience to wait it out, if you don't, give it another 2 weeks and return it before the 30 day policy.

If you think that Apple can provide you with a better experience, then go back to them, nothing wrong with that. Do what works best for you.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I did uninstall the game, the issue I mainly am having is, what if I want to play another game? I guess I need to run some stress tests and see if it's going to keep happening. I can't figure out why this one said game would cause issue, but maybe. I'll post back after running some CPU and Video stress tests.

It is also possible that a legacy game could over write system files, add an update service or a TSR Call....

What happens if you run sfc /scannow from an elevated cmd prompt?

OP
L

liftbikerun

Ok, so I ran a simple test - wow. So I only could watch this for a total of 6 minutes, it was brutal. My SP3 from a cold boot, with no apps running except for the tool below that stresses both CPU and GPU.

HeavyLoad - Free Stress Test Tool for Your PC

First up, the 2 minute mark, the CPU, GPU, and Motherboard were already maxed out.

First up you'll see that the CPU and GPU are maxed out, and we are 2 minutes in, this happened almost instantaneously.

2minmax.jpg

Second file you'll see we are in at 4 minutes 55 seconds, the SP3 has already throttled down the CPU to 1.15ghz, 60% of it's marketed speed rating to allow for cooling.

Throttled115.jpg

Lastly, you'll see at 5 minutes 42, my SP3 has throttled down to .78ghz to further attempt to cool down. This is only 41% of it's original claimed speed rating microsoft announced.

Throttled78.jpg

I URGE all of you to download this piece of software and run it yourself and see if yours does the same thing. I am thoroughly curious if this is really an issue with just mine, or if this is across the board.

OP
L

liftbikerun

I mean hell, take 6 minutes out of your day and do it, if this really is across the board, this means anytime we run anything CPU intensive, watch an HD youtube video for over 2 minutes, etc, our SP3s are going to throttle down to a level of performance lower than my CELL PHONE.

kodos

I had to return my first SP2, the CPU and disk (for some reason) would stay pegged at close to 100% and the entire system would slow to a crawl. Not sure what happened. But my replacement unit worked flawlessly (well, except for the firmware update saga that all SP2 owners are used to). I think you should at least attempt to do an exchange and see how that goes before throwing in the towel.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I watched the 4K HD video Test over on YouTube without issue and was even able to multitask....

Did you run sfc /scannow?

Also the freeware test software is designed for Servers and Workstations...

mohcho

I agree. I think you have a bad unit. Here's a screenshot of what I have running on my machine right now as a test. Avengers is playing via iTunes, which we all know how much of a hog it is. The Frozen is my blu-ray rip that is 3.8GB in size, so it's very high resolution. Only after about a minute did the fan kick on. All of this is running on one of the two 22" screens that I have plugged into a Pluggable dock running a wired IBM keyboard and mouse.

wc00uu.jpg

What you can't see is two instances of Chrome with 12 tabs open between the two instances.

OP
L

liftbikerun

I agree. I think you have a bad unit. Here's a screenshot of what I have running on my machine right now as a test. Avengers is playing via iTunes, which we all know how much of a hog it is. The Frozen is my blu-ray rip that is 3.8GB in size, so it's very high resolution. Only after about a minute did the fan kick on. All of this is running on one of the two 22" screens that I have plugged into a Pluggable dock running a wired IBM keyboard and mouse.

wc00uu.jpg

What you can't see is two instances of Chrome with 12 tabs open between the two instances.

I would try that piece of software I spoke of and see if it starts kicking your speed down after 6 minutes. I am really curious, I can't mimic your test nearly as easily as you can mimic. mine.

OP
L

liftbikerun

I watched the 4K HD video Test over on YouTube without issue and was even able to multitask....

Running it now, and I the software itself really isn't as important for what it was made for as it simply stresses the computer. I purposely left off the hard drive and other resources as I only wanted it to stress the two areas that I know are having issues, that generate the heat.

OP
L

liftbikerun

No issues after running sfc /scannow *Let me rephrase, the scan showed no issues, heat still persists*

Last edited:

Ruffles

If it worked fine for 5 days and then suddenly started acting up, it's most likely software - ether something you installed or something got corrupted. It's certainly not a cooling design problem because that hasn't changed.

I like to install an imaging program such as Macrium Reflect that allows me to image my current state, then do a factory restore and install a particular program or perform a test, and then restore back to where I was. The key to isolating the problem is to start debugging from a known good state. If you do a complete wipe and still have cooling issues with nothing installed, then it's most likely hardware and a return is in order.