What's new

This is what Microsoft's latest Windows In The Car looks like

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
[video=youtube;B0AuletNl_8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=B0AuletNl_8[/video]​

Following Apple's unveiling of CarPlay at this year's Geneva Motor Show, Microsoft used its recent Build developer conference to reveal how it plans to allow the integration of its smartphones with automobiles. Instead of automakers using Microsoft programming to create their own infotainment interfaces, this would port your mobile phone's screen onto the car's touchscreen but with the look of the Windows "Metro" UI.

The system uses the Mirrorlink standard, which is (also) a rival to CarPlay, the major difference between the two being that Mirrorlink can port Windows, Android and Blackberry phone systems, and Google has its own Open Automotive Alliance dedicated to Android integration. Automakers won't have to choose just one, having come together to establish open standards that can incorporate the different systems.

Continue Reading @: This is what Microsoft's latest Windows In The Car looks like - Autoblog

FFX

I have to say, I don't think I could depend on something Microsoft made in my car. Love my Surface bug I think my signature is pretty true.
Yes. We all know that you are immature.
Care to explain how my iPhone 4 has hundreds of crash reports, and my Surface 2 has almost non?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This is Mirrorlink which is an open standard, it allows iOS, Android and now Phone 8.1 to be mirrored on the car's infotainment system. I've been using Phone 8 as my car's navigation and entertainment for the past 3 years....ironically the firmware that runs underneath is QNX embedded (now owned by Blackberry).

TunaSurface

different experiences, different opinions. Personally I think Microsoft products always have some weird problems.