What's new

This is why MS will fail with Surface

demandarin

According AdDuplex (as reported by Paul T. and Mary Jo), the Surface 2 (formally RT) and Surface 2 Pro are showing up in add data as machines accessing content....

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/surface-stats-and-speculation

Great link. Proves some points being stated. Regardless of how RT did, or surface pro, Microsoft has made a significant, positive impact on the market for them.

Microsoft is a heavy hitter. You can never count them out. People thought the same thing about Xbox. Look at it now. Easily surpassed Sony consoles in sales. They came into a new market and in the long run dominated. The same could happen here in tablet/mobile platform. RT being the more affordable and surface pro being high end. Then now's there's talk of a 7in. Dang, obviously MS has some big plans in store.

Afy

The Surface is now obsolete. The release of the Haswell chips ensured it.
Given that in the last year nand prices have dropped, battery life improved .. and the realisation that for the true Windows 8 experience you do need touch has dawned onPC manufacturers.

The hoopla about declining pc sales is exactly that. The low end pc buyer, who uses their home pc for browsing and email primarily now does that on their smartphone and cheap tablet.

The PC Market 2.0 will see a move away from the strategy of racing to the ground in terms of price. people buying new laptops today are less price sensitive. Unfortunately the manufacturers are sleeping. Lenovo is beating the trend because they are producing systems that people actually want to buy. Unlike say dell who are asleep.

Will RT survive.. sure. Will surface... yes. I expect MS to release a new version of the 10.1 Surface models, and probably a 7 or 8 inch RT version. Will it be wildly successful? Don't know the answer to that.

demandarin

In that link a previous person posted, there was some good points from a person in comments section. He had this to say,

"That is completely misleading, the RT platform is one of the most powerful that is available on ARM (desktop grade versus phone version). The anti folks were successful in misguiding people, saying hey this does not run legacy Windows applications (whoa, which ARM platform runs x86 applications natively ??)

The fact is, RT is the only tablet that provides full multi-user, multi-window, touch-keyboard-friendly experience plus file system, USB device support, MS Office out of the box. There is simply no other tablet that can say that.

Talking of market share, with decades of few % market share did Apple stop OSX? Then why should Microsoft?

And the other argument from anti folks is lack of applications is also funny. The stats say 80% people use tablets for browsing, then followed by media consumption and email. So we are talking of few % use cases that need apps, of which fewer which have missing counter part in the store.

So get out of the ignorance, and see the platform in a new light. It makes sense, and will be a standard tablet for many. I find both iOS, Android and Chrome OS pathetical compared to what Windows RT offers as a package"

mitchellvii

According AdDuplex (as reported by Paul T. and Mary Jo), the Surface 2 (formally RT) and Surface 2 Pro are showing up in add data as machines accessing content....

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/surface-stats-and-speculation

jnroach, your take on that article is misleading.

There is NO reference to a Surface Pro 2, only to a Surface running Windows 8.1 (which we already will have as soon as 8.1 is released). As a matter of fact they even say that.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
No Mitch, I'm reading the article as written by Paul as he writes...

"AdDuplex is seeing two new Surface devices in testing, the Microsoft Corporation Surface 2, which is the Surface RT replacement and will simply be called Surface 2, and the Microsoft Corporation Surface with Windows 8.1 Pro, which will be called Surface Pro 2. It is also seeing a series of Nokia tablets (RX-107, RX-108) and so on, which are all variants of the same Windows RT-based tablet, codenamed Sirius. This is a 10.1-inch 1080p device that the smart phone maker is expected to launch next month."

Paul T. is reporting the second is the Pro 2, I know you will disagree because you've drawn a line in the sand that there will not be a Pro 2

EMINENT

Do you really believe Surface Pro won't be getting a refresh even after MS announced it?

That is just ridiculous. No way will MS just sit around and let ULV Haswell chips come to existence and not put it in their flagship product.

I am willing to bet my Surface Pro and put it up for donation if it doesn't happen before this time next year.

demandarin

There's alot of talk about it anyways over the various tech news sites. It most likely will have Haswell. Along with major bump in gpu/integrated graphics. Then possible resolution increase as the RT is said to get 1080p bump. So the pro will go even higher. Strong possibility it will carry that new low power WiFi standard.

As for RT, lte version with Qualcomm snapdragon 800. As Qualcomm was just recently added to to Microsoft suppliers for RT. The WiFi only version said to be Tegra4.

I think MS really learned their lesson and is going to come hard this second go round. I'm anxious to see what they've been working on.

mitchellvii

No Mitch, I'm reading the article as written by Paul as he writes...

"AdDuplex is seeing two new Surface devices in testing, the Microsoft Corporation Surface 2, which is the Surface RT replacement and will simply be called Surface 2, and the Microsoft Corporation Surface with Windows 8.1 Pro, which will be called Surface Pro 2. It is also seeing a series of Nokia tablets (RX-107, RX-108) and so on, which are all variants of the same Windows RT-based tablet, codenamed Sirius. This is a 10.1-inch 1080p device that the smart phone maker is expected to launch next month."

Paul T. is reporting the second is the Pro 2, I know you will disagree because you've drawn a line in the sand that there will not be a Pro 2

No, he is simply paraphrasing the original article which says the "Surface running 8.1" may be referring to Surface Pro running 8.1. He is drawing a conclusion not stating facts.

My analysis stating that there will be no Surface Pro II is assuming MS has some sense. Of course, they could be idiots, produce a Surface Pro II and lose their asses on that as well. However, since a new CEO will be coming in, I doubt the Board wants to start him off with yet another product failure.

Last edited:

machistmo

This argument is like a dog returning to his vomit. It's been eaten and spit out time and time again.

I like that, dog and vomit, two words that come to mind when I think of my Suface Pro ownership experience. Well done. Spit, theres another one... This guy's a bloody Genius!

machistmo

So? This could be said of 90% of all Forum posts worldwide.

Regarding the person who said there would be a Surface Pro II because it was so widely accepted, um, sales SUCKED. So maybe people accepted it but they didn't buy it. Also, MS is making noise about upgraded Surface RT and a 7 inch Surface RT, but nothing about a SP II.

There is an article on verge stating that several MS devices are connecting to websites with machine names that seems to indicate they are the next gen machines. The Surface and Pro.

AdDuplex has spotted what it believes could be a pair of new Surface tablets accessing its Windows ad network. The advertising network says it "regularly" sees devices named "Microsoft Corporation Surface 2" and "Microsoft Corporation Surface with Windows 8.1 Pro" viewing its ads. The former device is thought to be running Windows RT, just like the current-generation Surface for Windows RT, but it looks like Microsoft might be ready to drop the "RT" name from the device. While the second tablet, "Surface with Windows 8.1 Pro," could be the company testing a final build of Windows 8.1 on the existing Surface Pro, it could also be the long-rumored hardware refresh that will finally bring Intel's latest Haswell processors to the hybrid tablet.

Tom T

Let's face it, there will be, obviously an RT2(possibly, even likely multiple iterations) but there WILL be a Surface Pro 2, because the first was somewhat unique and pushed tremendous innovation from other manufacturers. So Microsoft sets the bar a bit higher and pushes innovation even further. What they did was create an environment that forced others to push the boundries a bit. The thing is the Surface Pro was slightly ahead of the deliverable tech, promising a bit more than could be delivered, but even so they came so very closeI, and in most ways they delivered admirably. Now they can offer a device that will deliver on all fronts and they will, because there is a market for a Surface Pro that overcomes its shortcomings because the tech to do so is here, and it really can be a device that can replace many cumbersome tools we now take the Hassle of for granted.

demandarin

Very well put Tom T. That's how I feel about my surface pro. Its an excellent piece of machinery. Of course it could be better but the pro's greatly outweigh the drawbacks. I really like this device compared to my android tablets...which I don't even use anymore.