What's new

This may be the problem with Surface Pro WIFI...

mitchellvii

Too much power.

I noticed that whenever I sat within 5-8 feet of my WIFI router, my SP would show 5 bars but refuse to connect or provide only a limited connection. As a test I moved my router to the next room over and bingo, instant connects and fast web page loads. Then as a further test, I bumped the transmission power of my router up to 256 from its default of 71. Again, even though my router was in the next room, I could no longer connect reliably. Back to 71 and perfect connection.

So it would seem our Marvell WIFI receiver in our SP's suffers from too much of a good thing. Too much power or too close to the router and it freaks out. My PC loves the extra power, my SP not so much.

So, if you are having wifi problems at home with your SP, try moving your router OUT of the room in which you usually use your SP. In addition, if your router's firmware allows you to pump up the transmission power, put it back to 71 (default) and you will probably have a better experience.

DOTTAT

Too much power.

I noticed that whenever I sat within 5-8 feet of my WIFI router, my SP would show 5 bars but refuse to connect or provide only a limited connection. As a test I moved my router to the next room over and bingo, instant connects and fast web page loads. Then as a further test, I bumped the transmission power of my router up to 256 from its default of 71. Again, even though my router was in the next room, I could no longer connect reliably. Back to 71 and perfect connection.

So it would seem our Marvell WIFI receiver in our SP's suffers from too much of a good thing. Too much power or too close to the router and it freaks out. My PC loves the extra power, my SP not so much.

So, if you are having wifi problems at home with your SP, try moving your router OUT of the room in which you usually use your SP. In addition, if your router's firmware allows you to pump up the transmission power, put it back to 71 (default) and you will probably have a better experience.

Maybe for dd-wrt....but from what I've found its more complicated than just power.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Maybe for dd-wrt....but from what I've found its more complicated than just power.

Well most routers come stock at 71 tx power so dd-wrt really doesn't matter in this case. What does seem to matter is the proximity to the router itself. Sitting too close to the router causes serious problems for the SP. Probably a reason why I couldn't set anything but a limited connection sitting 5 feet from my primary router but could from the wireless extender 30 feet away.