What's new

This random SDCard disconnect business is making me nuts(ier)!

mitchellvii

I don't know what the deal is, but my SP keeps losing my SDCard randomly (i.e., no particular reason). It's there one minute and then it's gone. This is a perfectly good brand new 32GB Class 10 Sandisk Ultra. I have it formatted as NTFS.

My biggest issue is that I have all my Modern UI apps running from the SDCard and when the SP loses the card I can't access my Modern Apps. Reseating the SDCard brings it back but I have to reboot if I want my Modern UI Apps back. Major pain. The hack I use to run my Modern Apps from the SDCard isn't causing the disconnect as the card was doing this before I ever set that up.

The strangest part about this is the sheer randomness. There is no particular event which triggers loss of the card. I searched online and many people offered up the standard, "your card is bad" answer, but this card is fine. I tested it in my Note II for a week and it worked flawlessly.

** The key question is this. The card obviously works. What event is causing it to unmount? There has to be some error somewhere that is triggering the unmounting. Some people online have suggesting setting up VHD's and all that to keep it mounted but I shouldn't have to do all that. Is it only the Sandisk Class 10's having this problem? I also tried the card formatted as exFat and that also had same problem.

Last edited:

ZachBui

I got the same problem as well about a 3 month ago, and the exact same setup as you.

Once the card was mounted correctly, I immediatly a disk error check on it and it atually fixed some errors. So far up to now, no issue so far. But you're right, I wonder what could of triggered it

Nuspieds

I have the 64GB SanDisk Class 10 and I have never had any disconnection issues and have never had to reseat it.

Is it completely, completely random or does it happen like once a week, two weeks, etc.?

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I have the 64GB SanDisk Class 10 and I have never had any disconnection issues and have never had to reseat it.

Is it completely, completely random or does it happen like once a week, two weeks, etc.?

I am wondering if it happens when I connect or disconnect from my external monitor. I will test that today. That is the only major hardware thing I do on a regular basis throughout the day. Maybe I need to go into my screen settings and disconnect the monitor before physically disconnecting it.

UPDATE - Just tested this theory. Hmmmm, tried connecting monitor 3 times. Twice had no effect, once my SDCard unmounted. Bizarre.

Last edited:

Ruffles

Do you have errors in the event viewer from the Disk service? I've noticed mine unmounting (and I'm doing the VHD thing) and I've got errors in the log. I've tried chkdsk etc. but everything comes back clean.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Do you have errors in the event viewer from the Disk service? I've noticed mine unmounting (and I'm doing the VHD thing) and I've got errors in the log. I've tried chkdsk etc. but everything comes back clean.

Yeah who knows. Am running the exact same card in my Note II and never have an issue. I am thinking it is a Surface Pro hardware issue. I read what one user did was to cut a sheet of paper an inch long and the width of the SDCard. When inserting the SDCard, slide the paper in above it with the extra bit of length hanging out. This causes the card to press more firmly against the contacts. Because the paper is longer than the slot is deep you can pull it out.

I may try this but I think I will just put a small piece of electrical tape on top of the SDCard instead so nothing hangs out.

Last edited: