What's new

Thought about possible selling my SP on Amazon, but good lord...

mitchellvii

With the new Haswell models coming out, I thought about the possibility of selling my SP on Amazon before the rush of new devices. I am assuming that the SP's value will go down once the new models are here. Not at all sure I want to do this, just dabbling. May keep it, may give it to GF, may sell it, dunno.

Anyway, it seems like Amazon would be a good place until I saw all the rules:

1) Amazon takes 6% of the value of your purchase.
2) You have to wait 14 days to get your money AFTER you ship.
3) The buyer has 30 days to return your SP for a full refund (after they have used it and possibly damaged it).

I've never sold on Amazon before so maybe I am getting this wrong but damn. Craigslist is looking better. Anyone sold on Amazon before? The used SP's on there do seem to move.

Russ

3) The buyer has 30 days to return your SP for a full refund (after they have used it and possibly damaged it).

Mitchell --

I have never used Amazon to sell anything, nor would I be likely to after looking at item #3. No way would I sell a high value device like the Pro under a rule like that.

Frankly, I think you should give it to your GirlFriend, but, if you insist on selling it, go to Ebay:

1 - Selling cost is much lower.
2 - You are paid before you ship.
3 - You set the terms and conditions for any return.
4 - A much bigger marketplace.

I have bought and sold on Ebay for a long time -- mostly a buyer, but often sell surplus computer stuff on there. Like you, I am an early adopter, especially in the computer area, so often end up with perfectly usable computer stuff that I don't need anymore. Ebay is my outlet of choice.

Take care,

Russ

Mitchell --

I have never used Amazon to sell anything, nor would I be likely to after looking at item #3. No way would I sell a high value device like the Pro under a rule like that.

Frankly, I think you should give it to your GirlFriend, but, if you insist on selling it, go to Ebay:

1 - Selling cost is much lower.
2 - You are paid before you ship.
3 - You set the terms and conditions for any return.
4 - A much bigger marketplace.

I have bought and sold on Ebay for a long time -- mostly a buyer, but often sell surplus computer stuff on there. Like you, I am an early adopter, especially in the computer area, so often end up with perfectly usable computer stuff that I don't need anymore. Ebay is my outlet of choice.

Take care,

Russ

Ummm yeah.... Most of what you put is wrong.

1. Sellling cost on Ebay is %10 compared to Amazon %6 ----> Standard selling fees
2. When you confirm shipment of the Item, Amazon Deducts the money from the persons Credit card or whatever as if they just bought it from amazon. Initially there is a 14 day hold on the funds, if it is your first sale through amazon. After that it takes three days for Amazon to deposit the money after you request the transfer from them. If you really wanted to you could confirm shipment and request the funds to your account, then wait three days to get your money before shipping it. Additionally any money held in your account is automatically deposited in your account every 14 days.
3. You can set the terms of return in the description of your item. It might eventually come down to disputing it with Amazon as a Mediator. If you dot all your "I's" and cross all your "T's" you will be covered. Amazon's Mediation people are pretty reasonable.
4. Ebay is no where near what it once was. It is basically a flea market and only collectibles and junk have a market there. Amazon is a much better choice for "Consumer Electronics" and "New Tech" . I've been a member on ebay since 1999. I sold a Artbook for $800.00 and their fee was outrageous, I cancelled the auction and the buyer agreed to let me!

I have sold over a hundred Items on Amazon and if you price your Items well they will sell quickly. Here is a quick rundown of how most of my items sell.

1. List item........takes seconds, don't have to post pictures.
2. Items sells
3. Buy shipping through Amazon and confirm shipment.............takes seconds because Amazon has all the info on everything already, they deduct the shipping from the Item sell price, so it doesn't come out of your pocket. Also I shipped way to many items using the post office before I found out buying shipping through Amazon is cheaper and a whole helluva lot easier.
4. As soon as I confirm shipment of the Item, I can Request the money from Amazon which they are now holding (once you bank account is confirmed.) It is in my account in three business days.

The only downside to using Amazon is that unless you have a "Paid" sellers account you cannot make your own shipping rates. So for the Surface Pro you would be stuck receiving $6.99 for shipping. This sucks, but you can always adjust your Item price to reflect it.

Last edited:

TeknoBlast

I've given up on eBay on big ticket items. They fees are insane. So now, I just stick with Craigslist. I sold my RT on CL within a day or two.

I've given up on eBay on big ticket items. They fees are insane. So now, I just stick with Craigslist. I sold my RT on CL within a day or two.

Hell yeah, Craiglist tops them all. No fees, no shipping and CASH!!!!....but you just have to deal with a lot of flakes and weirdos, and constant reposting of you ad if it doesn't sell immediately.

TeknoBlast

Hell yeah, Craiglist tops them all. No fees, no shipping and CASH!!!!....but you just have to deal with a lot of flakes and weirdos, and constant reposting of you ad if it doesn't sell immediately.

What irks me the most about meeting up with CL buyers is that some come from miles away and they want you to meet them halfway. After I detailed in my post, "be close or be ready to make a drive." I've reject buyers because they wanted me to meet them across town. Screw that.

I usually don't mind a nice drive, if its reasonable. I can't stand the people that flake at the last moment or after numerous follow up emails and after you already told others that it was pretty much sold.

Spaniard

Soon I'll get my 2nd hand CHEAP Surface Pro... ha... ha... ha... haaa ha ha ha ha ha haaaahahahaha MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tumblr_md04lmEl9u1qzqnxxo1_500.gif

You're an innovator, I'm an early adopter.
ciclo-de-vida-adopcion-nuevo-producto-early-adopters.jpg

Last edited: