What's new

Thought I Was Ready to Pull the Trigger, They Moved the Target

Well, I wanted to make the purchase, a 64gb surface with a type cover. Couldn't find a way to buy it that way on the website, so called the 877 number. Apparently if you want an 64 gb surface, you have to also get a touch cover. I don't have any desire for a touch cover, and you're obviously paying for it. I guess I'm not getting a surface right now.

The young lady tried really hard to sell me the 32 gb version, and ask me if I was sure I didn't want to place the order now, before they ran out. She tried to convince me that I probably didn't really need the 64gb one anyway. I'm not impressed.

badham21

why do you need the 64gb version? Just add a 64gb microsd to 32gb version, then you got a 96gb effectively

OP
B

brocharlieb

why do you need the 64gb version? Just add a 64gb microsd to 32gb version, then you got a 96gb effectively

That's what the sales person said too. But I've always thought of internal memory as having an advantage. Maybe I'm wrong and need to learn to think differently. Plus, that would be less expensive.

J515OP

Super Moderator
That's what the sales person said too. But I've always thought of internal memory as having an advantage. Maybe I'm wrong and need to learn to think differently. Plus, that would be less expensive.

There is no real advantage to internal memory vs external memory now that everything is using flash memory. If you connect to an external platter then you'd have a point. The real difference is that you can only save apps to internal storage for now (and probably ever). This means if you need lots of apps or very large apps then internal memory size could be a constraint. For the average person hitting the space limit for apps does not seem to be a problem.

OP
B

brocharlieb

I think my major interest in apps will be bible study apps, probably a reader app (I have kindle for pc and android) and anything else that will help me with presentations. Knowing that your apps have to go to the internal storage makes me want the 64 gb version more, but you've given me something to think about.

v10type-r

Well you can't add applications to the internal memory. So the additional 64GB microSDXC will only be able to occupy media (music, videos, pictures, etc).

I went with the 64GB with touch cover, ordered the SanDisk 64GB microSDXC. I used to have a Lumia 900 16GB phone, and with my apps and stuff I was down to around 2GB free. (I had a lot of games installed, a lot).

Anyways, better games will come for the RT, and they will most certainly be larger in size, so that was my reason for going 64GB.

I figured that for now I will stick with the touch cover. I am sure that in the future I will be able to pick up a type cover for cheap on ebay or maybe even a sale through MS.

archapacman

If you don't intend on installing games or entertainment apps, just get the 32 GB. You can load books/bibles/pictures anything onto an SD Card.

Griff

I went with the 64gb and have been pleased with the touch cover (much more so than I thought I would). Although, I really hope that, in the future, MS sells each flavor of Surface without any kind of cover and then offers the different covers as add-ons. I bet that MS store employees get pulled into tons of 'Oh, if I get the 64gb, I have to take the touch cover? Can I pay ten more bucks and just swap it for a type cover?' conversations.

Have a great day, everyone!

Russ

my major interest in apps will be bible study app.

Brother Charlie --

I use PC Study Bible V5 on my desktop. I have about 15 versions of the Bible, plus commentaries by Strong, Thayer, Clarke, Barnes and several others. I also have an assortment of Biblical maps and pictures. That whole collection consumes 1.6Gb of storage on my drive. Apps for RT are written much more efficiently than desktop apps. There is just no way that your Bible apps are going to consume your internal storage, especially if you put in a extra storage card for your pictures, data and such.

I have the 64Gb with TouchCover, and I like it a lot. I'm not a touch typist since I injured my right hand, but, I think that even if I still were, the TouchCover would be just fine.

Make your decision for your own reasons, but you aren't going to fill up the internal storage on a 32Gb RT with Bible apps.

Take care,
Russ

MSurfaceWA

I agree with everyone that the 32gb Surface should do the trick. Especially when you can buy a micro sd 64 gb for $48! (that's what I did)

But, the key point from Brother Charlie is - why would Microsoft make such a non-sensical move to require someone to purchase a keyboard with any model??? It makes zero sense and they are actually hurting themselves because they have a customer that wants to spend more money (64gig + type cover) but will be forced to spend less on Microsoft products due to this required touch keyboard. Very very dumb maneuver by Microsoft when all other competitors sell everything separately. Who thinks of this stuff???