What's new

thoughts after 2 days of usage

OP
unruledboy

unruledboy

I also got mine SP3/4GB/256GB with cyan type cover on Thursday 28/8 at Harvey Norman store. I actually preordered it three weeks ago. Very happy so far, and enjoying this piece of art on the learning curve. Never used laptop before(well occasionally helping my daughter with hers), my old Dell desktop is ready for a retirement. Thanks to all the useful information in this forum. Keep up the good work :)

feel happy for. actually you can hook it up with your existing external monitor so you have bigger view estate

phositadc

8. the pen is nice, BUT, I still can't use double click to capture screen, any idea? and the pen loop is a joke, too hard to get in / out, easily removed and distorted

Make sure you have Windows Update KB2968599 installed -- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2968599.

When I did a clean install of Windows 8.1, this update did not get installed by Windows update for some reason, and my top pen button did not work until I installed it manually.

Edit: One other idea. Go into the App Store and make sure your OneNote is fully updated to the latest version.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Screenshotting is simply an update issue. Just keep asking update to look for updates, it'll get the right one eentually. Initially i tried using all the MS site suggestions and then someone elsewhere just said update, so i did, and voila.

I'm glad there is no dedicated spot for the pen (unless it was just a strong magnet somewhere other than the power connector) because I've used to competition with their magic silos. The pen becomes a thin stick good for absolutely nothing worthwhile. I find it rather amusing and confusing to see the likes of samsung release pretty expensive devies, designed around note taking, and then cripple the idea with such an awful stylus, but it seems it having a silo is more important than the stylus itself.

Adrain

Thus far, awesome!. Nothing has failed to install, work or act as it should. My experience has been Apple smooth !. Loving my SP3.

Leaves me using a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 for phone, a Surface 3 Pro for tablet and PC and a MacBook Pro as my pseudo desktop. 1 year ago it was iPhone, IPad, MacBook. I wish Apple the best and hope they produce a rabbit from the hat with the next launch as they need some innovation.

Didn't want to come back to the WIndows fold but this product rocks !

Adrian

OP
unruledboy

unruledboy

Make sure you have Windows Update KB2968599 installed -- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2968599.

When I did a clean install of Windows 8.1, this update did not get installed by Windows update for some reason, and my top pen button did not work until I installed it manually.

Edit: One other idea. Go into the App Store and make sure your OneNote is fully updated to the latest version.
it is now working, thanks mate

OP
unruledboy

unruledboy

I am a seasoned machine user, over 20 years, from DOS all the way to Win 8.1, from 80286 to core i haswell, from New iPad to Galaxy Note 10, from thinkpad t410 to t44op... too many to count.

I DON'T have issues like over-heating, locked-up, freeze, lost wifi, auto reboot, could not boot, could not use pen, lose touch, dead pixel etc.

Surface Pro 3, is by far the best machine I want and need and use and love.

Mikewired

I have been on the fence about keeping the sp3 after a week of use and mac user for 6 years. Well I am keeping it. I can't seem to put it down. It has been the most comfortable computer to use while lounging around and it will still get work done. I like the ability to touch the screen (Hint Apple) or use the trackpad. My iPad is getting lonely. I just wish it had built in 4g/LTE, maybe next time. Then there is the screen, it's simply amazing. I think I will return my i5 128 and get the i5 256 + 8 gig ram, what's another 300.

iDatus

I am a seasoned machine user, over 20 years, from DOS all the way to Win 8.1, from 80286 to core i haswell, from New iPad to Galaxy Note 10, from thinkpad t410 to t44op... too many to count..
286 & over 20 years.. Didn't know we had some youngsters on this forum. hehe.
I too have had same experience (plus 30 years) even XT PC with pc dos 1(yep 8bit wonder) and love the sp3. no issues for me, maybe slow wifi now and then but I think I know what that is.
Can't remember last time MS had this much buz even from people I know that don't like MS.
I have done a fair few improvements mentioned on other posts but isn't that the best thing about full fat windows that you can do what ever you want!
edit 30 not 10 years.

Last edited: