What's new

Three finger swipe on touchpad - I want it to go back and forth for webpages and explorer

Px455

I have a SP3 with a SP4 type cover and stylus.

On my MacBook Pro's with their current generation touchpads, I can swipe three fingers left and right and program what I want it to do. Specifically, I have it set to go back and forth, which is useful when browsing the internet. To my understanding, Microsoft at one point had this feature on 7 and 8, but it did not carry over to 10.

All I can select now is a three finger swipe changes applications. This is so stupid given they moved from common to obscure.

So, what is the best way to achieve a three finger swipe going forward and backwards with Win 10 on a SP3? Some talk about 8.1 drivers, others with third party apps.

agt499

I'm 90% sure that Autohotkey can be made to do this. (I just remapped the three finger tap over the weekend).
I will run a little test tomorrow and post a script.

agt499

Hi - sorry but my quick test on three finger swipe using Autohotkey, won't fly - that gesture is obviously very deeply baked in (which may be why sharp's mentioned TouchMe no longer works).

You can make the three finger tap do browser (and explorer) back though, if that's any consolation - it's probably more useful than the default of Action Center.

The remapping for Autohotkey for that is
+#^F22:: Send {Browser_Back}
If you've not used Autohotkey before, see the crash course in a prior post over here

agt499

Hi @agt499 is there any chance you could advise a way of going forward as well?
Three finger for tap works beautifully - forward would be awesome!
Hi - glad that's working nicely for you!
The best plan I can come up with to do forward as well is to use the ALT key with a triple-tap.
The script below does seem to work, but it means you need 1 finger on ALT and then three to tap the touchpad. I'm no pianist, so that's pretty hard for me!
I find it easier just to use ALT + Leftarrow for back and ALT + Rightarrow for forward, but I know everyone's got their own preference.

If you make this change to your script, you should just be able to save tehn relod it from the system tray icon for AHK.
!+#^F22:: Send {Browser_Forward}
return
return

Parallaxe

Hi - glad that's working nicely for you!
The best plan I can come up with to do forward as well is to use the ALT key with a triple-tap.
The script below does seem to work, but it means you need 1 finger on ALT and then three to tap the touchpad. I'm no pianist, so that's pretty hard for me!
I find it easier just to use ALT + Leftarrow for back and ALT + Rightarrow for forward, but I know everyone's got their own preference.

If you make this change to your script, you should just be able to save tehn relod it from the system tray icon for AHK.
!+#^F22:: Send {Browser_Forward}
return
return

I know this thread is a year old, but I still wanted to thank you! You just saved me with this little AHK script. The missing apple-like-three-finger-back-and-forward-swipe was driving me crazy on my brand new SurfaceBook.

Life looks much brighter now (-;

Thanks!

Jeadilson

Wow! I try this on my SP4 too. The back command with two fingers are so useful I think should be default at any OS

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

The last couple of releases of Windows Insider have included customizable gestures. So browser back/forward have finally returned. For those less adventurous you'll need to wait a while until the next rev of Windows is released.