What's new

Three questions (Why did MS do these things?)

Judgeless

I am new to the device but I have a long history with computers and the Windows OS over the years. I read the forums looking for answers. I found that these 3 items are just broke and you can not do them.

1.) The type or touch keyboard with a built in magnet does not turn the display off when closed or turn the display on when opened or bring the device out of standby or hibernate. The only options are to put the device in standby when you close the keyboard or do nothing. Every laptop I have owned over the years let you set the device to turn off the display when the lid is closed. Or come out of a sleep mode when opened. I wonder why MS did this?

2.) Microsoft does not offer a magnetic snap on keyboard that is just a super thin cover to protect the display (no keys). Why not? It would cost nothing to build and they could sell it for a lot of money. I would by one.

3.) The photo view app will not allow pictures to load full screen. If they are lower then 1920x1080 you have to zoom in. That is foolish. I found an app in the MS store called Gallery HD that will load images full screen but it puts really ugly gray boxes next to the image? Black boarders would make so much more sense. Does anyone know of an app that will do this?

Thanks!!!

jeffskent

I am new to the device but I have a long history with computers and the Windows OS over the years. I read the forums looking for answers. I found that these 3 items are just broke and you can not do them.

1.) The type or touch keyboard with a built in magnet does not turn the display off when closed or turn the display on when opened or bring the device out of standby or hibernate. The only options are to put the device in standby when you close the keyboard or do nothing. Every laptop I have owned over the years let you set the device to turn off the display when the lid is closed. Or come out of a sleep mode when opened. I wonder why MS did this?

2.) Microsoft does not offer a magnetic snap on keyboard that is just a super thin cover to protect the display (no keys). Why not? It would cost nothing to build and they could sell it for a lot of money. I would by one.

3.) The photo view app will not allow pictures to load full screen. If they are lower then 1920x1080 you have to zoom in. That is foolish. I found an app in the MS store called Gallery HD that will load images full screen but it puts really ugly gray boxes next to the image? Black boarders would make so much more sense. Does anyone know of an app that will do this?

Thanks!!!

I have used my Surface Pro 1 as my main computer since the day it was released. I disable all sleep or hibernate modes since the machine shuts down in 15 to 20 seconds and starts up just as fast. At home I keep the cover closed most of the time and route the display to a 27" monitor, use an external keyboard and mouse, 6 TB external storage, and a powered usb hub speaker combination for all the extra stuff I plug in over time. Works well for me these last 15 months or so.

Ravynmagi

1. Yeah, seems like the keyboard cover should act "smart" and sleep/wake the tablet. But my guess as to why they didn't do this is because there is nothing that keep the cover closed properly and maybe they were concerned about the tablet being woken up too often from the cover accidentally slipping open.

2. You mean just a cover without a keyboard for the Surface Pro? I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea. But apparently last generation Touch Covers are sold pretty cheap on eBay now, so you could use one of them, they are fairly thin.

3. No idea.