What's new

Three to Four Hour Battery Life

OP
H

hadrian

Well, citantic...I've tried to look through the threads you've created for tips. I downloaded batterybar and it shows 3:45 battery life on a freshly charged battery.

And I am running IE exclusively--no chrome at all. So we will see what happens. I hope it work bc I am very reluctant to go back to Microsoft for another return.

ctitanic

Well, citantic...I've tried to look through the threads you've created for tips. I downloaded batterybar and it shows 3:45 battery life on a freshly charged battery.

And I am running IE exclusively--no chrome at all. So we will see what happens. I hope it work bc I am very reluctant to go back to Microsoft for another return.
It will take sometime for the Battery Report to recover and show an increase in your battery life since the OS was installed, I hope that you understand that.

OP
H

hadrian

It will take sometime for the Battery Report to recover and show an increase in your battery life since the OS was installed, I hope that you understand that.

I appreciate the condescension; however, I do not need a report to tell me that I have increased battery life. I need the sp3 to last more than three hours on battery, which is easy to verify through usage.

Also, I have already dealt with the brightness and tweaked some settings, although I am not yet familiar with roozbeh's suggestions. I hope they are helpful but I wonder if tweaks can add anything but a marginal boost.

I suspect titanic that you are in infatuated with a piece of hardware and find it hard to take criticisms of it. In that case you need to get out more and familiarize yourself with other devices. I hope you understand that loyalty to hardware is the intellectually shallow.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect titanic that you are in infatuated with a piece of hardware and find it hard to take criticisms of it. In that case you need to get out more and familiarize yourself with other devices. I hope you understand that loyalty to hardware is the intellectually shallow.
I believe you are thoroughly mistaken on your assessment, Frank has been using Tablet PCs and Ultra-mobile devices longer than most and is not afraid to call out faults.

Mike OC

I started using Chrome, as it's my usual desktop browser, but was unimpressed with 5-6hr battery life. Since I uninstalled Chrome and made an effort/intention to use the metro IE app, and metro apps in general, battery life has improved by about an hour, so getting there. Battery life really does depend on what I am doing though. Am still gonna have a read through Roozbeh's thread for power saving tips though.

gdir

I'm a satisfied Chrome user. I agree that MUI IE is the most energy efficient browser and if you are looking for the best battery life you should stick to MUI IE.

Nevertheless I'm getting an average of about 6+ hours using Chrome. For me that's ok. I am able to burn the battery down in 3 hours, but that usually requires some sort of heavy gaming. I'm unable to burn the battery that fast when I'm surfing or doing office work.

nilsk123

I'm a satisfied Chrome user. I agree that MUI IE is the most energy efficient browser and if you are looking for the best battery life you should stick to MUI IE.

Nevertheless I'm getting an average of about 6+ hours using Chrome. For me that's ok. I am able to burn the battery down in 3 hours, but that usually requires some sort of heavy gaming. I'm unable to burn the battery that fast when I'm surfing or doing office work.

Exactly this

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm generally a heavy Chrome user, but I have not got it installed on my Surface for the very reasons mentioned above. I downloaded it once, just so I could sign in and get my bookmarks but then uninstalled it. In general I find Modern UI IE perfect for general browsing. I love the swipe feature to quickly go forwards and backwards in pages.

I do however have firefox on my surface. The reason for that is that i'm doing an online Beginners Python coding course, which requires me to run a web page "Codeskulptor" which is a java program whcih simulates python. However this does NOT work properly in IE, either version due to the fact that it uses the latest web technology which IE is not yet able to run. The web page opens but the code does not action properly and I get errors where there shouldn't be any.

Therefore if I'm using that web page I have to use firefox instead (chrome would work as well but I don't use it as I say on the Surface). It does seem strange that a company championing online, cloud first does not have a browser that can use the latest web technology!! IE still needs to catch up in some areas, but I must say, when I came back to it I was pleasantly surprised in general as I have avoided IE for so long and it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be.