What's new

Throttlestop - running your Surface Pro maxxed out...

mitchellvii

** Of course, proceed at your own caution. This works well for me but if you brick your rig it's on you...

Your Surface pro runs a cpu that can throttle back pretty dramatically - down to about 800 mhz. This is mostly to save battery life.

There is an app that allows you to stop this throttling. It is aptly named "Throttlestop". Basically it allows you to run your Surface Pro at close to Turbo speeds all the time. I use it when I am plugged in and turn it off when I need to be on battery for a while. One benefit I have noticed is that web pages load much faster more consistently.

You can download it here:

Downloads | Tech|Inferno

Get the version 5.0. There is no setting to have it start with Windows so you have to either set that up in Scheduler or manually start it when you want to use it. It then runs from your Notification Area as a little stop sign icon.

Here are the settings that seem to work best for me. The setting I would recommend NOT messing with is voltage. You are not really overclocking your Surface Pro, just disabling throttling and placing it close to Turbo Mode most of the time.

* One note regarding the benchmarking tool included. The lower your score the better. So even though it says "high score" it really means "best score".

Throttlestop.JPG

Last edited:

johnknee

Does Microsoft Complete Care cover blown SP? I find the i5 is fast enough. Increasing the speed will only heat up the unit faster and the fan may not keep up (as it struggles now). I like the option to slow down the speed to converse power and increase battery life (even though I get about 6-7 hours now).

tonyz3

Nice post finally...it only took 837:wink: It would be good if anyone who tries this updates the thread with what settings they try if diff than mitch and the results.

Last edited:
OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Does Microsoft Complete Care cover blown SP? I find the i5 is fast enough. Increasing the speed will only heat up the unit faster and the fan may not keep up (as it struggles now). I like the option to slow down the speed to converse power and increase battery life (even though I get about 6-7 hours now).

I mentioned this in the OP but I'm guessing you didn't read it so I'll say it again. You are NOT overclocking your SP, merely running it closer to Turbo Speeds all the time instead of it down-clocking to a crawl. My SP has never gotten over 80C doing this and believe me, Intel CPU's can go to 100C plus before you need to even begin to worry about cooking one off. The worst this should do to your rig is lowering your battery life, but then again, you can do as I suggested and turn it off when you will be on battery for a long time.

Right now I'm running Netflix at 2.22 Mhz and 61C. For me this actually runs cooler at higher speeds than stock. Nevertheless, proceed at your own risk. I've been running this without issue for over a month now.

I am happy you are pleased with the stock i5 performance, throttling and all. This thread is for those who want more horsepower - I thought I made that clear.

** For future reference try reading the OP.

Last edited:

Codevine

Has anyone tried undervolting the SP? Should have it run a bit cooler, which would be very welcome (because it's damn hot here, and the SP heats up quite a bit).

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Has anyone tried undervolting the SP? Should have it run a bit cooler, which would be very welcome (because it's damn hot here, and the SP heats up quite a bit).

You may be able to do that with this tool. I'm not going to mess with the voltage but Google "Throttlestop undervolt" and see what you get. One nice thing about this software not starting up with Windows is that if you screw something up and BSOD you won't be caught in a reboot death spiral.

tonyz3

So has anyone else tried this and if so what were your results. Did you see any difference? Thx

karlhui

I will try this!!

When I find that its lag when Im going to draw something with 3000x3000 px, Im going to try "Throttlestop"!

I will test it with games too!

karlhui

With the CPU power unlocked, the surface pro work like a desktop!!

I can draw pictures with 3000 x 3000 px or even higher with no lag!!! ( Im using artrage )

Tested gaming with Sonic Generation, very smooth!!! before its lag as hell

Tried a FPS game called Spec Ops 2, its playable with a little lag ( native resolution )

All I can say is... I LOVE YOU OP!!!

Last edited:

tonyz3

Careful.... you dont know what you are saying to OP...

Attachments

• arg-exploding-head-guy-lg-border-url.gif
    arg-exploding-head-guy-lg-border-url.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,420
Last edited: