What's new

Throttlestop - running your Surface Pro maxxed out...

tonyz3

With the CPU power unlocked, the surface pro work like a desktop!!

I can draw pictures with 3000 x 3000 px or even higher with no lag!!! ( Im using artrage )

Tested gaming with Sonic Generation, very smooth!!! before its lag as hell

Tried a FPS game called Spec Ops 2, its playable with a little lag ( native resolution )

All I can say is... I LOVE YOU OP!!!
What setting did you end up using. also OP are you still using this since you upgraded to 8.1

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

With the CPU power unlocked, the surface pro work like a desktop!!

I can draw pictures with 3000 x 3000 px or even higher with no lag!!! ( Im using artrage )

Tested gaming with Sonic Generation, very smooth!!! before its lag as hell

Tried a FPS game called Spec Ops 2, its playable with a little lag ( native resolution )

All I can say is... I LOVE YOU OP!!!

Lol, right again :)

You know this business of being constantly right is getting a bit tedious. Maybe I should try being wrong occasionally just for variety.

tonyz3, I recommend settings I showed in OP. I benchmarked a bunch of stuff and those had lowest lag.

Remember it has to be restarted each time you start Windows, although you can probably start it up in scheduler.

Last edited:

tonyz3

Lol, right again :)

You know this business of being constantly right is getting a bit tedious. Maybe I should try being wrong occasionally just for variety.

lol............... arg-exploding-head-guy-lg-border-url.gif

spectre51

** Of course, proceed at your own caution. This works well for me but if you brick your rig it's on you...

Here are the settings that seem to work best for me. The setting I would recommend NOT messing with is voltage. You are not really overclocking your Surface Pro, just disabling throttling and placing it close to Turbo Mode most of the time.

I noticed you unchecked EIST as that was checked by default for me. Any particular reason you unchecked it? What did you notice change when you didn't have that enabled?

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

pierre118

EIST = Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology.

EIST can automaticly drop down the CPU speed if it is possible, that reduces battery use.
If you want top speed all time you must disable it, just like the OP did.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

EIST can automaticly drop down the CPU speed if it is possible, that reduces battery use.

There is a benchmarking utility that comes with that. Try some different things and run a benchmark. I believe the lower the number the best even though it refers to your "highest" benchmark.

pierre118

There is a benchmarking utility that comes with that. Try some different things and run a benchmark. I believe the lower the number the best even though it refers to your "highest" benchmark.

Which benchmark utilities do you use? For graphics benchmarking I use 3DMark 2011.

Arizona Willie

I downloaded and installed ThrottleStop 5.0 but I have a question ( may be two or three ).
Under the Options button there are many settings. One of them says to Not Reset FID/VID on Exit.
Should we leave that checked or uncheck it?
My VID is showing numbers that are changing constantly and are much lower than the numbers in your screenshot.
My speed is only showing 798.2 mhz so it doesn't seem to have sped up any.

Could you give us a complete list of the settings we should change and what to change them to?

Thanks

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I downloaded and installed ThrottleStop 5.0 but I have a question ( may be two or three ).
Under the Options button there are many settings. One of them says to Not Reset FID/VID on Exit.
Should we leave that checked or uncheck it?
My VID is showing numbers that are changing constantly and are much lower than the numbers in your screenshot.
My speed is only showing 798.2 mhz so it doesn't seem to have sped up any.

Could you give us a complete list of the settings we should change and what to change them to?

Thanks

This is all I did. I didn't change anything in "Options" other than "Start Minimized" and "Minimize on Close". Make sure you set your multiplier to "Turbo" and oh yeah, turn it on and save it. Don't mess with the VID - it changes constantly on mine too, that's normal.

868d1371730778-throttlestop-running-your-surface-pro-maxxed-out-throttlestop.jpg

Last edited:

spectre51

Playing around with it a bit today I noticed that when ThrottleStop I turned ON having that EIST setting checked doesn't really matter much. Even with it checked or unchecked the system will drop down to 1.7ghz if nothing is going on and still crank up when needed.

Now when Throttlestop is turned OFF if you uncheck EIST the CPU will stay right at about 1.7ghz and not drop down. As soon as you check it the cpu will scale down.

Just my observations.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

tonyz3

so are you saying you are getting better results without using the app. or not turning it on.

spectre51

so are you saying you are getting better results without using the app. or not turning it on.

Well not necessarily better results just that you can just uncheck eist and it will run at the full 1.7ghz and not drop lower. I'm still playing with it to see how the turbo behaves with just eist unchecked and throttle stop off.