What's new

Throttlestop - running your Surface Pro maxxed out...

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Well mine stays above 2.2 Ghz pretty much 99% of time time. Occasionally it may pop down to 1.8 for a split second. If yours is going to 1.7 and staying there you are doing it wrong. Remember to set the Multiplier to TURBO.

Remember this does not automatically launch on reboot. You have to set that up in your scheduler.

My TS Benchmark with these settings on 32M and 4 threads is about 24.6. If your score is higher (worse) than that you are doing it wrong.

Last edited:

tonyz3

Well mine stays above 2.2 Ghz pretty much 99% of time time. Occasionally it may pop down to 1.8 for a split second. If yours is going to 1.7 and staying there you are doing it wrong. Remember to set the Multiplier to TURBO.

Remember this does not automatically launch on reboot. You have to set that up in your scheduler.

My TS Benchmark with these settings on 32M and 4 threads is about 24.6. If your score is higher (worse) than that you are doing it wrong.

yep I am seeing the same with running identical settings. BM 25.7 and CPU constant at 2.06ish with the occasional drop to 1.9ghz

spectre51

I made sure I have the exact same settings as you so I don't think I am doing it wrong. Followed what you setup and when I have it turned on and just sitting there at the desktop doing nothing it will hover around 1.7ghz fluctuating higher and a little lower that is with or without EIST checked. Again if I turn it off with EIST unchecked it will stay round 1.7ghz once I check it the speeds will drop lower.

I recorded a little video showing you what I am seeing. [video=youtube;tAGQvUNFWUc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAGQvUNFWUc[/video]

I got a 23.5 running the benchmark on 32M and 4 threads with it on and EIST disabled. 23.4 with it on and EIST enabled, and 23.5 with it off and EIST enabled. Just means the CPU is doing what it should and scaling up when needed. It's the scaling down that just unchecking the EIST impacts at least from what I am seeing as turning ThrottleStop on doesn't keep it at over 2ghz for me.

Not complaining or saying it doesn't work just posting what I am experiencing, obviously seems others are seeing it different so YMMV. Still a good app to keep the CPU speed running faster if you want/need it without it scaling down.

Now I wonder what other power settings people have such as minimum processor state while plugged in in their advanced power settings. Mine is set for 5% as minimum when plugged in and 100% maximum.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Your benchmarks are good so who cares? Could be any combination of things unrelated to TS causing your other numbers to differ.

tonyz3

I made sure I have the exact same settings as you so I don't think I am doing it wrong. Followed what you setup and when I have it turned on and just sitting there at the desktop doing nothing it will hover around 1.7ghz fluctuating higher and a little lower that is with or without EIST checked. Again if I turn it off with EIST unchecked it will stay round 1.7ghz once I check it the speeds will drop lower.

I recorded a little video showing you what I am seeing. [video=youtube;tAGQvUNFWUc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAGQvUNFWUc[/video]

I got a 23.5 running the benchmark on 32M and 4 threads with it on and EIST disabled. 23.4 with it on and EIST enabled, and 23.5 with it off and EIST enabled. Just means the CPU is doing what it should and scaling up when needed. It's the scaling down that just unchecking the EIST impacts at least from what I am seeing as turning ThrottleStop on doesn't keep it at over 2ghz for me.

Not complaining or saying it doesn't work just posting what I am experiencing, obviously seems others are seeing it different so YMMV. Still a good app to keep the CPU speed running faster if you want/need it without it scaling down.

Now I wonder what other power settings people have such as minimum processor state while plugged in in their advanced power settings. Mine is set for 5% as minimum when plugged in and 100% maximum.

try rt clicking on taskbar than tap task mgr than double tap on cpu graph and pin it to the screen than pull up TS and see if cpu reading is diff on there.

spectre51

try rt clicking on taskbar than tap task mgr than double tap on cpu graph and pin it to the screen than pull up TS and see if cpu reading is diff on there.
Task Manager is about a 100mhz higher usually.

Spaniard

4398474.jpg

marcux

Just an FYI, this does not stop throttling, it still throttles as soon as the cpu reaches 80C, if you don't believe me, do a test, run the 1024 test until 81c and watch your clocks drop.

carmamir

Just an FYI, this does not stop throttling, it still throttles as soon as the cpu reaches 80C, if you don't believe me, do a test, run the 1024 test until 81c and watch your clocks drop.

Meaning. You're doing something wrong as this soft limit throttling to around 2GHz at my settings.

Just simple logic, if people talking about settings and outcomes, do you really think that we would that if throttling still would drop to 800MHz ?