What's new

Time to Upgrade... SP vs SP4...

LinkRS

Howdy Folks,

I have been happily using my Surface Pro (128 GB) for the past (almost) 3 years. It is time to upgrade to the latest version, but I am currently trying to assess which model of the SP4 would be "best". The price for the i5 model with more RAM and SSD than my current SP costs $1300, which is quite a bit. There is the base model with a much slower (in clock speed) Core M3 processor at a much better price of $900, and the slightly upgraded i5 version at $1000. Neither of these give me more storage or RAM, just a screen/pen/battery upgrade. Has anyone compared the base m3 against the original SP, or have a recommendation on which is the best upgrade from a SP at a reasonable price? Thanks!

Yillbs

Just to make sure you don't have wrong information, the SP3 actually has a larger batter than the SP4, so the battery isn't an upgrade.
The ram is the same, but the SSD is going to be faster in the SP4 ( quite a bit ), the CPU is also TWO generations behind on the SP3. The pen is only an upgrade ( IMO ) because of the magnetic sides, I have an SP3 and an SP4 pen, I use the SP3 pen more often because it's a lighter pen ( for me ).

I would suggest if you want to go to the SP4 , get the 128 , 4GB ram version, It's affordable, it works, and if you're a student, you can pick it up for 900 bucks at best buy. Make sure you check for lightbleed on the device before you take it home :p