What's new

Tip for extended monitor users...

mitchellvii

One of the "bugs" of Windows 8 is that the user is not allowed to set different zoom levels on extended monitors. What this means to us is that if we have our SP set at 1920 x 1080 and 150% zoom, then our external monitor will also be 150% zoom. With a 23 inch monitor that means text will be so big it's almost funny.

One workaround for this is to set your SP at 1600 x 900 and 125% zoom. This is going to give you pretty much the exact same real estate on your SP as 1920 x 1080 x 150 but more reasonably sized fonts on your extended monitor since the zoom is only 125%. Additionally this will also give you an extra row of tiles in Modern UI (don't ask me why, it just does).

So does image quality suffer on the SP at 1600 x 900? YMMV but I personally cannot tell a difference.

tonyz3

I love the 4th row option i just switched it but the real test will be on monday when i hook up my monitors. thx for the tip.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

I love the 4th row option i just switched it but the real test will be on monday when i hook up my monitors. thx for the tip.

I have a 21.5 inch 1920 x 1080 monitor and honestly I prefer it at 125% to 100%. Things get kind of small and a little jaggy at 100%. 125% is the sweet spot for me.

It's funny that although the SP isn't "optimized" for 1600 x 900 it does seem to do a number of things better there (like the extra row of tiles).

machistmo

Another oversight that MS claims will be addressed in BLUE. Time can only tell. Meanwhile, my System Aggregator Firmware issues persist. I have 6 rows on my Metro on the external screen ?

dell win8 rows 2.01.jpg

Is this what you are talking about? Sorry it is early and on the first cup...

Last edited:

machistmo

You mean on the Surface Pro display? Oh right gotcha. I thought you meant your external monitors had 3 rows at native resolution. I get you now.

ScottyS

I'm running my SP at 1920x1080 at 125%. I'm thinking about getting a 27" monitor to run off my SP when at home at 2560 x 1440 resolution. Would that require changing resolution and % zoom every time I connect, or are settings for a 2nd display remembered?

mtalinm

I'm running my SP at 1920x1080 at 125%. I'm thinking about getting a 27" monitor to run off my SP when at home at 2560 x 1440 resolution. Would that require changing resolution and % zoom every time I connect, or are settings for a 2nd display remembered?

I have exactly that setup, 125% text scaling and 27" monitor @ 2560x1440. works great. no need to toggle

ScottyS

I am confused about which inputs allow 2560x1440. I know HDMI and VGA have a max to 1920x1080. So do I need a monitor with Display port or DVI-D or DVI-D with HDCP Input? And are there miniDisplay port-to-Display port and miniDisplay port-to-DVD-D adapters?

ScottyS

That Monoprice Mini Display Port | Thunderbolt® to HDMI®, DVI & Display Port Adapter looks good, but I'm still confused.
Is mini DisplayPort=Thunderbolt? VGA and HDMI can only go 1920x1080; the monitor I'm looking at (Dell U2713HM) has VGA, DVI-D with HDCP Input and HDMI. One of the user reviews say it only does 2560x1440 through DisplayPort or DVI-D, but the specs doesn't say it has Display Port input. I don't want to buy a monitor and then find out there's no way to connect it to get 2560x1440.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Thunderbolt is DisplayPort plus USB 3 data. So DisplayPort is a video subset of Thunderbolt. To get the highest resolution you need to find a monitor that supports DisplayPort input or at least DVI. DisplayPort is the better standard though so try for a monitor with that and you won't have any problems with resolution.