What's new

[Tip] Taking A Screenshot

gglazer

I don't see this one listed yet. Very handy and super easy to use.

Hold down the "windows" button on the bottom middle of your Surface and then press down the volume down button. The screen should dim and a screenshot will be saved into a screenshot folder in your pictures library. Really cool and easy to use.

Last edited by a moderator:

kryten22uk

Sounds more hassle than using the standard hand-swipe. Is this method for when you have been eating toast and have jam all over you hand?

Hubster

I found that this doesn't work when you're multitasking, only when running one app at a time. Does anyone know how to take screenshots when two apps are running side by side?

OP
G

gglazer

What's the "standard hand-swipe" kryten22uk? I haven't heard about that. I haven't tried to take a screenshot of two apps running at once Hubster. I wouldn't think that would be a big deal to implement. I wonder why they didn't.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I found that this doesn't work when you're multitasking, only when running one app at a time. Does anyone know how to take screenshots when two apps are running side by side?

It sure does. There are plenty of screenshots here with more than one app running.

oion

How do you do a screenshot with a handswipe?

There is no "standard hand-swipe" screenshot technique for the Surface.

What kryten22uk may have been referring to is the Windows RT/8 "snipping tool," which is available only in desktop mode. This is useful to capture specific screen areas on the desktop, like maybe a specific option dialog, but doesn't behave like a true screencapture method that's edge-to-edge. And it doesn't work with the Start Screen.

There is no way to screen-capture the lock screen either, unfortunately.

Endorsay

I don't see this one listed yet. Very handy and super easy to use.

Hold down the "windows" button on the bottom middle of your Surface and then press down the volume down button. The screen should dim and a screenshot will be saved into a screenshot folder in your pictures library. Really cool and easy to use.

Thanks for the Windows 8.0 tip.

In 8.1 (preview) they have also added screenshot ability using the Share Charm (windows+H on keyboard)