What's new

To Surface Pro 3 (or wait)

Tmozer

A Microsoft Surface Pro is in my future. But I hesitate for a couple reasons......

Logistically, this would be my first computer/laptop without an optical drive. Sure I could always obtain a USB connected optical drive, but do I really need one? It seems like most software can now be installed from the internet/cloud. And of course I have my "old" desktops and laptops that have optical drives. Will I miss having one if the Surface Pro becomes my main PC?

Timing: Should I wait to purchase a Surface Pro 3 until it comes with Windows 10 installed? My current laptop has Windows 8.1 and I am not a big fan. Looking forward to updating everything to Windows 10. Yeah I know that the upgrade will be free, but I'd be happier purchasing a new unit with Windows 10 already installed......

And if I am going to wait for a Windows 10 Surface Pro, perhaps I should wait for the Surface Pro 4?

rjwerth

Well, when was the last time you really needed an optical drive while you were away from your desktop? About the only thing I use optical drives for these days is to rip movies I own to my file server.

Don't let windows 10 be a factor. You will actually like 8.1 a whole lot more on your surface than you do on a desktop or laptop.

How long do you want to wait? How long do you want to carry around an extra 2 lbs of needless weight?

ptrkhh

this would be my first computer/laptop without an optical drive. Sure I could always obtain a USB connected optical drive, but do I really need one? It seems like most software can now be installed from the internet/cloud. And of course I have my "old" desktops and laptops that have optical drives. Will I miss having one if the Surface Pro becomes my main PC?
When did the last time you use the optical drive on your laptop? If you don't remember, then SP3 wouldn't be a problem IMO, especially with the fact that you still have other devices to backup when you really need it.

I spent so much effort and money to get the Sony VAIO S over the Acer TimelineX 3830TG just because of the optical drive (I was searching portable 13" laptop with powerful GPU. It was so rare back then, now its everywhere). Yet I ended up not using the optical drive anyway, save for a few occasions. And at the same time, I sacrificed battery life, Synaptics trackpad, and more powerful GPU.

Yeah I know that the upgrade will be free, but I'd be happier purchasing a new unit with Windows 10 already installed......
Why? I don't think that would make a difference, apart from the Windows 8 logo behind the kickstand.

malberttoo

A Microsoft Surface Pro is in my future. But I hesitate for a couple reasons......

Logistically, this would be my first computer/laptop without an optical drive. Sure I could always obtain a USB connected optical drive, but do I really need one? It seems like most software can now be installed from the internet/cloud. And of course I have my "old" desktops and laptops that have optical drives. Will I miss having one if the Surface Pro becomes my main PC?

Timing: Should I wait to purchase a Surface Pro 3 until it comes with Windows 10 installed? My current laptop has Windows 8.1 and I am not a big fan. Looking forward to updating everything to Windows 10. Yeah I know that the upgrade will be free, but I'd be happier purchasing a new unit with Windows 10 already installed......

And if I am going to wait for a Windows 10 Surface Pro, perhaps I should wait for the Surface Pro 4?

Welcome to the forum!

I have been without an optical drive on my machine (including current SP3) for about 8 years now. You will likely rarely miss it.

Order a USB optical drive from Amazon and you will be set.

ctitanic

If you can wait until the second half of this year then you don't need too much a Surface.

OP
Tmozer

Tmozer

Only account holders can see the price.

Usually that one sells for $1451

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Surface-Pro-Intel-Core/dp/B00KHQWRZS

Yes, but this package features free shipping, the keyboard cover and a year of Office. If the Amazon package (with the dock) came via Prime, I would probably strongly consider that.....

Frequently Bought Together
410G6h8sH3L._SL500_SS100_.jpg
+ +
Price for all three: $1,740.14

Nys299

You should definitely wait for the SP4, on second thoughts, wait for SP5, SP6? 7? 8?

My friend, it is a vicious cycle that never ends. How urgent is the SP3 to your needs NOW......that is the most prudent question. SP3 was released in April of last year.....can you wait 3 to 4 months? Will it impact upon your productivity? Laptops etc should not be vanity purchases and is supposed to pay for itself according to its productivity value to you and only you can assess that. That is why I did not hesitate to purchase the SP3 just 5 months after I purchased the Lenovo Yoga Pro 2. Financially it hurt at the time....but now it has repaid me at least 2-3 times over because it has allowed me to clinch several deals which my laptops would most definitely not.

And as for Windows 8.1, you are missing out on one of the most polished Windows versions just because you are worried about the small matter of its schizophrenia. With 8.1, other than the missing start menu (there are temporary 3rd party fixes), you don't have to ever see the jarring Start Screen if you don't want to as it can now boot directly to desktop. It seldom crashes and I find that it is smoother than Windows 7. It should not be the the key factor to deciding to buy a laptop or not and besides in a few months time, you will have a free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (SP3) anyway.

Last edited:
OP
Tmozer

Tmozer

Let me be honest....... This is a toy. I have no need except to play and experience the "cutting edge" for a short time. Being retired and bored is expensive. I still want one!

abc

I fit the same discription as you as a consumer. I took the plunge with sp3 and am glad i did. Go ahead and do it now with the sp3.