What's new

To Surface Pro 3 (or wait)

kristalsoldier

Let me be honest....... This is a toy. I have no need except to play and experience the "cutting edge" for a short time. Being retired and bored is expensive. I still want one!

Well, if that were the case, and if it were me, I would probably wait for the SP4 or whatever comes with W10 later in the year. One exception to this would be if you are willing to go into the hassle of selling the SP3 when the new one comes out - or, perhaps, you could give it to a relative/ friend etc.

dajogejr

In all honestly, I'd get the SP3. But possibly wait until the SP4 came out. Price should drop, I can't see there being a HUGE gap in performance or specs... and, you'll be able to put W10 on the SP3 soon enough (Production W10, not release/technical candidates that are out now...)

OP
Tmozer

Tmozer

When my tax refund arrives (which just about covers the cost of the SP3 I am interested in) I will either decide to order or decide to wait (depending on the MS rumors at the time).

ynohtna

Let me be honest....... This is a toy. I have no need except to play and experience the "cutting edge" for a short time. Being retired and bored is expensive. I still want one!

Based on that, buy the SP3 now, life too short spent waiting for stuff :) Ok, the SP4 might not have any fans, on battery, I find the SP3 fan doesn't come on much anyhow. Either way, it's already pretty amazingly light, and really nice to use.

Nitric

What made you so concerned about win8.1? I have 2 non touchscreen laptop and sp3 using the OS and i think its alright. You just need some time to get use to the UI. By the way, waiting is always an endless loop and if you like the sp3, i don't see the reason why you should not go ahead and get one. You already have the urge to buy one and i assumed that's the reason why you are asking questions here. You cannot go wrong with a sp3.

DutchYee

for me is the Surface pro 3 everything i need, include the performance. Waiting for a better device is waiting till you die. I should pick up an SP3, as many will say its totally no waste of money.

mcsenerd

I've been running exclusively Macs at my house right up until the Surface line came out. Once I got a hold of one...I was hooked. If you really "get" pen based computing, I think it's tough to go back. I know I've posted on it before, but I really liked the concept back when MS first tried to push pen computing... it was just sad that the hardware wasn't there for it to really work yet. Well... it's ready now and it's all in a nice, thin, fast, sexy package called the SP3. For me, it's just so close to the perfect computing device that I wouldn't give it up for anything. I was just telling my wife tonight how much I enjoy it and think it's the best computing purchase I've made in... well, I can't remember when. I was mentioning to her about the current iPad Pro rumors. Let's see...a 12ish inched tablet with a... gasp! STYLUS. Sound like something you might know about? Don't think for a minute that it's a coincidence... because it's not. The SP3 just works. It's totally useful and you can have it TODAY. Why wait for the ever-improving generation? As soon as the next one is out... it'll have the invariable fresh off the presses bugs and the rumor mill will immediately start with stories of the greatness of the very next gen device. If you can use one now, you can find a good deal on one, and you like it... buy it now. Don't wait... tomorrow's never promised to anyone. Seize the day today!

OP
Tmozer

Tmozer

I just put the SP3/keyboard/docking station bundle in my Amazon wish list. I am opting for the Core I7 256gig version. I would pull the trigger now and have it by Thursday (since all three are now Prime available), but I plan to leave this blizzard (in NJ) behind very soon and head to SC where Amazon will ship without tacking on sales tax. I will probably order on the day we leave NJ.

OP
Tmozer

Tmozer

So I plan to purchase an SP3 soon. Next question: Which model do I want? I definitely want 8 gigs of ram and the 256 gig storage (which I will supplement with a 64 gig micro SD card). I am willing to spend the extra bucks for the Core I7 but am wondering if I would be just as happy with the Core I5? I don't do games. Would be using Lightroom and maybe Photoshop. Some minor video editing.........

Again I figure the I7 makes the unit a little more future proof, but I am concerned about what I have read about heat problems. If it is unlikely I would notice the difference I guess I would choose the I5.