What's new

Too Heavy to Carry Around - A Good Thing

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I've been a fan of getting magazine subscriptions at rock-bottom prices via Zinio, and viewing them on my iPad or Mac or PC for years.

But the aspect ratio of the Surface Pro 3, more like a magazine's dimensions, and the clarity of the screen has now revived my love for this app. Wonderful interface on Windows 8.1.

As these screenshots show, I remain an Apple guy. But I like Windows too, and prefer my Surface Pro 3 above all my many devices. The middle screenshot shows how closely the aspect ratio conforms to a magazine - nicely leaving just a little space for controls above or below.

These magazines are too heavy to carry around to my favorite café or on travels. I love reading them, referring to them, and bookmarking them on my Surface Pro 3. A great renewal of my subscriptions. ;)

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

Screenshot (4).png

Last edited:

bkydcmpr

try flipboard too. it's really nice on sp3, and free.

the weight of sp3 is marginally comfortable for reading. it's fine for me, but not for my wife and daughter, they feel it's too heavy. I don't expect sp4 would change in weight and thickness, so if it's a little bit over your comfort zone, take half hour a day to do some dumbbell exercise you will feel sp3 being easier in your hands.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The weight distribution feels good to me. That is, though a bit heavy, it is a big screen, and the weight per screen area seems just fine, not to mention how much it can do.

By the way, it is kind of cool to read about Macs on a PC. When the brick-and-mortar Apple stores first opened up, Apple associates were using PCs to handle the purchases.

The Kindle app looks great on the Surface Pro 3 also. Talk about weight...

Screenshot (5).png

greatg

Just wondering if anyone is having issues with metro reader app? It seems to have installed correctly, except not all of my subscriptions are showing up in the library? If I log into the Zinio site, I can see all but not via the reader?

greatg

Yes, I'm also using the Modern app. As I mentioned all of my subscriptions but one are displayed? Not really sure why this one is not showing up on the Modern app?

bluegrass

Thanks for your post. I appreciate "bi" guys like you Sharp. Not to many of them around. It's always been a battle between the two. Maybe the Surface is changing that attitude a little.

foghat

have you looked at Next Issue? depending on how many magazines you read (and which ones) it could be worth it.