What's new

too many Apps that don't work

beman39

my wife and I were going over some of the apps in the store and ALOT are either over priced and/or don't work very well/or not at all! what is MS doing to make sure devs are releasing quality apps? do they not realize that their reputation is on the line? for example most if not all tv show apps don't work! for example the CW app, ABCfamily, FX networks and couple of others all the videos DON'T play or show up. right now it's a touchy situation regarding apps as a lot of people are complaining there isn't enough and just imagine when people start to see that the Apps are not working, cmon MS get your sh!t together, as I truly like to see the Surface outshine all the others and make it! anyways that's my 2 cents lol

oion

my wife and I were going over some of the apps in the store and ALOT are either over priced and/or don't work very well/or not at all! what is MS doing to make sure devs are releasing quality apps? do they not realize that their reputation is on the line? for example most if not all tv show apps don't work! for example the CW app, ABCfamily, FX networks and couple of others all the videos DON'T play or show up. right now it's a touchy situation regarding apps as a lot of people are complaining there isn't enough and just imagine when people start to see that the Apps are not working, cmon MS get your sh!t together, as I truly like to see the Surface outshine all the others and make it! anyways that's my 2 cents lol

Did they work before 8.1 and break with the update, or did they never work?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Aren't you in Québec? I think the US TV Apps won't work with a non-US IP. I use all three of those apps and CBS, Discovery, TLC and Animal Planet. I also stream SkyNews using their App which surprised me as I thought they would block a US IP Address.

OP
beman39

beman39

Aren't you in Québec? I think the US TV Apps won't work with a non-US IP. I use all three of those apps and CBS, Discovery, TLC and Animal Planet. I also stream SkyNews using their App which surprised me as I thought they would block a US IP Address.

well, look who's the nosy one hmmm? LOL yes although that might be true I have the surface set to US which helps a little and if you read a lot of the comments I'm not the only one who has problems with those apps, also TLC and animal planet works on my wifes Surface with no problems so I don't think its a region problem...

oion>> no they never worked even in 8, I pretty sure it's an APP problem...

edit BTW what can I use on the RT to kinda block my proxy? wanna test these apps to see if it indeed is a region thing

Last edited:

demandarin

If its free t.v. shows or movies you looking for, then try out:
Watch Free TV Shows Online | Yidio
Sign In - Mobilevids requires making a free account..but really good

Theres a youtube client in win8 store called Down Tube. It also has free movies and HD ones in there to watch. Crackle is another great app. Film on televison another decent app for watching TV shows. Then one of my favorites is the app called Movie planet.

I hope these will work on your area. That yideo site is very good though. Able to watch full episodes of the latest t.v. series and they update pretty fast. Just make sure to click on yideo or other free streaming source.

king182

Downloaded a few apps yesterday for my newly bought Surface2, most of them worked pretty well but two of them didn´t. A few seconds after starting the app I will be brought back to my startscreen. They have just some pretty unimportant local apps but still...

Has anyone else experienced sth like that with any app(s)?

Rvacha

Yes, I've seen many. Most share a common theme - they access the file system. In particular many of the legacy apps that expect to see libraries instantly crash when they don't see them or you try to point them to an actual folder

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Re-enable the Libraries....

1.In File Explorer click the View tab.
2.Click the Navigation button.
3.Select Show Libraries and click OK.

eosnead

I bought my daughter Surface Pro 2 - 256 for Xmas and none of the included Apps had video that worked yet when she went to the MS store the video worked fine! The Microsoft Store exchanged the computer for a brand new one and again the same problem, the video in all the Apps won't work. She has spent over 11 hours on the phone with MS Support and so far they have not been able to solve the problem.