What's new

Too Many USB Devices Not Enough USB Ports

Knuck111

Fortunately I did not suffer from the dreaded December firmware fiasco. The only major issue I have with the SP2 is in desktop mode. Although this is probably not a problem for most of us, the single USB 3 port limits the number of peripherals that can be installed. I have 4 hard drives, a USB keyboard, USB sound, 2 scanners, a USB flash drive, a monitor that has to be plugged into a USB port to utilize its hardware calibration settings and a USB calibration device. The SP2 will only utilize 7 of the above devices at one time. I think this is a Windows 8.1 limitation of the bandwidth allowed for a single USB port.

If anyone knows how to get around this I would appreciate the advice. For now I use powered hubs with on/of switches for each port. It makes turning on or off a particular device quick and easy but it would be nice not to have to do this.

MickeyLittle

I probably don't have an answer for you but I remember seeing a thread and someone talking about a 10 port 3.0 USB powered hub. It seemed like each port had something special about it but I'm not quite sure about that.

drolem

There are 7 and 10 ports USB 3.0 hubs, and a few that offers a mixture of USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports.

In addition, at least in theory you can cascade USB hubs, so, for example, you can plug a USB 2.0 hub into a USB 3.0 hub for some additional ports. It doesn't always work, but it worth a try.

Nuspieds

Fortunately I did not suffer from the dreaded December firmware fiasco. The only major issue I have with the SP2 is in desktop mode. Although this is probably not a problem for most of us, the single USB 3 port limits the number of peripherals that can be installed. I have 4 hard drives, a USB keyboard, USB sound, 2 scanners, a USB flash drive, a monitor that has to be plugged into a USB port to utilize its hardware calibration settings and a USB calibration device. The SP2 will only utilize 7 of the above devices at one time. I think this is a Windows 8.1 limitation of the bandwidth allowed for a single USB port.

If anyone knows how to get around this I would appreciate the advice. For now I use powered hubs with on/of switches for each port. It makes turning on or off a particular device quick and easy but it would be nice not to have to do this.
I have a 10-port USB 3.0 hub and I have no problems with all 10 devices connected.

As a matter of fact, I've had multiple brands of these hubs and using all 10 ports has never been an issue.

OP
K

Knuck111

I have a 10-port USB 3.0 hub and I have no problems with all 10 devices connected.

As a matter of fact, I've had multiple brands of these hubs and using all 10 ports has never been an issue.

I wonder if its dependant on the amount of resources each device requires. I think I read somewhere that limit is 10. Have you had success with more 11 or more devices.

Nuspieds

I wonder if its dependant on the amount of resources each device requires. I think I read somewhere that limit is 10. Have you had success with more 11 or more devices.
No, I've only used 10 max.

In my use case, I have 7 "permanently" attached and 3 free slots, which I use for various flash drives.

kurtpidduck

My issue relates to the use of a Surface Pro with a 9-port SARGENT hub attached. What is a short-version description of the limitations of the hub attached to the MS Surface Pro. It is a powered hub (not a very firm connection of the power plug!) but it does provide a means of connecting my portable hard drives and a wireless dongle for the keyboard. The connection to the hard drives via the hub seems to be only problematic at best. Any words of wisdom I should consider? Thanks for any help you can offer.

nexxus86

Microsoft should have added more USB ports to the surface.
there should be enough space for at least 2 of them.

If you build a laptop replacement, at leat build in more than one USB port.