What's new

Too many web pages just don't work.

Dave T.

Hey guys...

Really love my Surface 2, except for a couple of things.

Some web pages just don't work... like this forum (and other forums). I just can't use it to post here or in some of my other favorite forums with the Surface 2.

Also, IE 11 doesn't seem to like any web pages with "hover and zoom". For example, go to Amazon.com and search for any item. When it returns the list, select one of the items to bring up the detailed page of that item. When it loads the "hover and zoom" picture, the whole page is jazzed up in that area with the picture overlay the text and the hover and zoom not working. Plus, it seems to goof up scrolling on that page.

My wife and I both use Amazon quite a lot, so this is a big issue for us. I also had the same thing happen on another site with "hover and zoom" so it's not just Amazon. This sound more like an IE issue than a website issue... but who knows?

In either case, it doesn't matter, as I'm disappointed. :( I'm actually comparing an iPad Air side by side with the Surface 2 to see which one works best for both the wife and I. For me, the Surface 2 has so many advantages over the iPad that it's hard to keep track. However, one of the main things a tablet has to do for us (and probably most folks) is display web pages in the correct manner.

I think MS is close... but not quite there yet. Maybe I should wait for the Surface 3? :confused:

SEANT

Something's amiss. I don't know what it might be but there should be no problem posting to this site from a Surface; I'm doing it now from a Surface RT.

Anything "hover" is hit or miss using any "Touch" only interface. Hover is tied to a cursor.

SEANT

This is a screenshot of my RT with a press and hold derived hover. I can't actually drag it around the image, the drag just moves the whole page. Screenshot (1).png

borka105

The IE browser on the Surface has a few issues when you use it without a keyboard. With the keyboard, most of these issues go away.

Another big one is for hover over menus. When you use the tablet on its own, you can't hover over a menu that expands and click on any of the level 2 options. With the keyboard, you can use the track pad to hover over..

Omni

The IE browser on the Surface has a few issues when you use it without a keyboard. With the keyboard, most of these issues go away.

Another big one is for hover over menus. When you use the tablet on its own, you can't hover over a menu that expands and click on any of the level 2 options. With the keyboard, you can use the track pad to hover over..

Although I haven't tested that one any other tablet Id say that is a issue for all touch screen devices and should be something the website fixes.

kristalsoldier

Something's amiss. I don't know what it might be but there should be no problem posting to this site from a Surface; I'm doing it now from a Surface RT.

Anything "hover" is hit or miss using any "Touch" only interface. Hover is tied to a cursor.

Yeah... I also don't have a problem with posting to this page. However, I did notice something interesting. At home, I have my own wireless network. When outside, I connect to two dedicated public networks in which I have a privileged memberships. At work, there is a dedicated work-=sponsored network. Now, when I am on the work network, this forum loses its formatting and the text goes all over the place. But that is the only network on which this happens and I am not sure why. On all the other networks, things are perfectly normal.

SEANT

Yeah... I also don't have a problem with posting to this page. However, I did notice something interesting. At home, I have my own wireless network. When outside, I connect to two dedicated public networks in which I have a privileged memberships. At work, there is a dedicated work-=sponsored network. Now, when I am on the work network, this forum loses its formatting and the text goes all over the place. But that is the only network on which this happens and I am not sure why. On all the other networks, things are perfectly normal.

Wow. I would not have thought a network connection would have influence at that level.

kristalsoldier

Is there some exotic firewall protocol at work?

Not that I know of. But I will check with the IT folks at work. But yeah, it is kind of strange though! I have never faced this earlier. The other thing is that this does not happen on my iPad or Nexus 10. Go figure!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I had similar issues on Public Networks and at one point my Client's Corporate Network, some services Cache Pages using very Generic Windows Browser String that usually doesn't match the newer browser.

OP
D

Dave T.

Well, here's what it looks like on my Surface 2 when the page loads... never mind trying to hover (mobile or desktop version). I can't move the picture and it's covering much of the text. If I try and hover it goes berserk!

As for posting in this forum. It doesn't work for me. I had to take the screenshot, email it myself, and post with my computer (wife's playing with the iPad :D )

Screenshot (2).png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I saw the same issue on Amazon, it is from the IE View settings, if you set your Browser to 100% instead of 150% it works as expected. Some Jscript based sites struggle with scaled up DPI.

Issues with this site.... have you put this site into Compatibility Mode previously? If so remove it and it should work.

Last edited: