What's new

Too many web pages just don't work.

OP
D

Dave T.

You are right. The scaling took care of the Amazon site, and helped with this site. However, if I hit the "enter" key in this reply box, a little circle comes up underneath the blinking cursor, and it starts acting up again. Hopefully MS can take care of the scaling issue, as it was impossible for these 63 year old eyes to see anything scaled down to 100% in this browser without pinch zooming.

Last edited:

borka105

Although I haven't tested that one any other tablet Id say that is a issue for all touch screen devices and should be something the website fixes.

That's not true... The iPad never has this issue. For whatever reason, when you use your finger on these types of menus on the iPad, it correctly shows the secondary drop down and allows the user to select an option.

I have no idea why it works on the iPad, but because it does, it makes me want it to also work on my Surface.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That's not true... The iPad never has this issue. For whatever reason, when you use your finger on these types of menus on the iPad, it correctly shows the secondary drop down and allows the user to select an option.

I have no idea why it works on the iPad, but because it does, it makes me want it to also work on my Surface.

Because most of the larger sites have created iPad centric web properties (Safari). So you'll have, Full, Mobile, iPad versions of the Site.

borka105

Because most of the larger sites have created iPad centric web properties (Safari). So you'll have, Full, Mobile, iPad versions of the Site.

I think it's something different because I never have an issue with menus on any website that I've used on an iPad. I doubt that a website like. Slickdeals: The Best Deals, Coupons & Discounts on Laptops, Computers, LCDs, TVs, Dell, HP, Apple, Amazon has an ipad specific version yet I can hover over menus. I can't do that on my Surface.

I understand what you are saying, but I know that "yahoo" and "espn" have iPad versions of their website.

Dewg

The issue is the browser. Safari is design for touch on the iPad - so if you touch on a link that has a hover-over, Safari will hold a virtual cursor there giving you the menu. IE10 (and IE11) will not do that. When you touch a menu, it's treating it like a click, but the cursor disappears, which is why the menu briefly appears and then goes away. It's just a limitation of IE in touch mode. It's something that MS can fix if they wanted to.

That being said - Hover menus should be a thing of the past. With so many mobile devices, web designers should be changing the code on their sites to remove hover over and offer touch-friendly options (click to open menus, instead of hover-over).