What's new

Took the plunge. SB2 15" 512GB RAM .... Awesome Device!!

bangsters

Hello guys!! Not really new, but disappeared for a while due to multiple projects going on. Anyway, I'm coming from SP1 -> SP3 -> SB i7 -> SP4, and now after much debating and holding back, I took the plunge. I can say I'm a proud owner of a Surface Book 2 15 inch model.

One word I can use to describe this beast -- Awesome! When I first got the first SB I loved it, but I felt like I was a test subject, so I moved back to a Pro. While the Pro 4 is nice and does what it's supposed to, it doesn't compare to the Book 2. I'm amazed. First thing I did was install my suit of Adobe applications, then installed Starcraft 2 :) I don't really do much PC gaming, just a few PS4 and switch games, but with the SB2 I might start playing some PC games with it.

Anyway, I went for the 512GB since I intend to hold on to this machine for at least a year, and wanted to make sure I have enough storage to install a virtual or another OS (Linux) and have some free space left. Besides, the price difference with 256GB and 512GB was around 300ish and really couldn't pass it up, the student discount helped a lot (10%).

So here I am, back, and nice to see this forum and the familiar guys.

Oh.... what accessories do you guys recommend? I'm already eyeing the flush mount SD adapter.

Francis

OP
B

bangsters

Is there a difference on SP4 Pen vs SB2 Pen? Are the added functionality from the pen itself or from the Book 2?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a difference on SP4 Pen vs SB2 Pen? Are the added functionality from the pen itself or from the Book 2?
The new pen adds the ability to use "tilt" on certain programs...and adds more levels of pressure sensitivity

OP
B

bangsters

Thanks!! So the tilt and additional pressure sensitivity are built into the actual pen and not on the book 2. Nice. I will have to get me one, together with the dial.

I was looking at bamboo pen but it doesn't support tilt.

Last edited:
I thought it's the pen that has part of the additional features, which is why if you buy a new pen, and at a LATER date, if firmware is updated, the SP can get the tilt feature.
But it's hardware in the newest SP that allows more pressure and pen detection smoothness.

gman713

I like how strong the Surface pen connects to the side of the SB2. It won't easily come off when I store it and take it out of my bag.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface Studio, Surface Pro 2017 and the Surface Book 2 have an additional ARM SoC that enables with the new pen the Tilt functionality

RoadXY

Thanks!! So the tilt and additional pressure sensitivity are built into the actual pen and not on the book 2. Nice. I will have to get me one, together with the dial.

I was looking at bamboo pen but it doesn't support tilt.
Could you try and use your SP4 pen on your SB2 and see if it works like on your SP4, please?
I have an option to buy an SP4 pen for my SB2 and would like to know if it's working like intented (minus tilt and additional pressure points offcourse)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Could you try and use your SP4 pen on your SB2 and see if it works like on your SP4, please?
I have an option to buy an SP4 pen for my SB2 and would like to know if it's working like intented (minus tilt and additional pressure points offcourse)
It works fine with any of the N-trig pens - I have SP3 pen, SP4 pen and the new pen and all work as expected...