What's new

Touch 2 or Type 2? Why?

oion

Touch pros:
Thinner profile if you're into ultra-minimalism. Easier to brush off because no moving keys with spaces in between (but, I think the material on the Touch keys are the same "soft touch" cloth-like plastic, which means it's not smooth and you can't actually properly wipe the keys off). Cheaper. Pretty cool as forward-thinking tech and the only accurate keyboard of its type, at least according to other reviews.

Type pros:
Traditional moving keys so you can actually feel a press register. Smooth plastic keys so you can wipe off nasty fingerprints (at least I do on a regular basis). 2nd gen includes lots of color options.

Ultimately the most important factor is flat versus moving keys, though many including touch-typists say the Touch 2 is much better than Touch 1 for accuracy. If you can get to an MS store, try both out.

daniielrp

I had a touch with my original RT and while it was good, I'd probably give it a 70-80% accuracy rating for my self and I could never get used to it really, but I know others who could use it perfectly. So with the SP2 I went with the type 2 and it's definitely working much better for me! As the pro is already thicker I had no problems with having an extra few mm with the cover. I would definitely recommend having a tryout before buying if you can though!

kristalsoldier

When I got the 1st Gen RT, I opted for the Type Cover. Why? Because I know that I was going to be typing a lot and I wanted the best possible option, which is what the Type cover offered. The only place that I have used the Touch cover is in stores and the little time that I have had to spend with it suggested to me that while the technology - or what the MS folks have done with it - is amazing, it requires a bit of effort, which involves time, which I did not want to spend given that an easier option did (and does exist). Having said that, there was a brief period of time when I was seriously considering the Touch cover but only to use as a cover and when folded back. But once I gained a bit of confidence in the Type cover, I quickly gave up the idea.

Recently, I bought the Type Cover 2. I did this because (1) of the backlighting and (2) because of the colour (I got the purple one) and (3) because I read that the MS design people had made some changes in terms of key travel and the sound level. I have not been disappointed.

And, having just bought the Surface 2, I have come to appreciate the Type cover 2 even more as I can now use some of the added gestures etc.

oion

Keep in mind also that people are commenting on Touch 1--Touch 2 is vastly improved, so it's not a fair comparison between Touch 1 and Type 2. ;)

kristalsoldier

Keep in mind also that people are commenting on Touch 1--Touch 2 is vastly improved, so it's not a fair comparison between Touch 1 and Type 2. ;)

This is true. Though I did have a chance to play around for a bit with the Touch Cover 2 in the shop today. From what I remember of the Touch Cover 1, yes, indeed it seemed better. But in my situation, the Type Cover 2 is the better option.

macmee

NEITHER.

best buy futureshop and staples never carried them at all in Nova Scotia, there is no Microsoft Store here and both are completely sold out online...

NEITHER.

best buy futureshop and staples never carried them at all in Nova Scotia, there is no Microsoft Store here and both are completely sold out online...

Unless you buy from a special Canada-only Microsoft website, they still have the Cyan Type Cover in stock.