What's new

Touch 2 or Type 2? Why?

macmee

Unless you buy from a special Canada-only Microsoft website, they still have the Cyan Type Cover in stock.

Right now on their website I can't even check their stock, I just see a loading icon that stays forever, although they have been sold out for some time now as far as I know.

Are you in Canada too and see them in stock?

Keep in mind also that people are commenting on Touch 1--Touch 2 is vastly improved, so it's not a fair comparison between Touch 1 and Type 2. ;)
It depends upon what they are commenting on. If it is with regard to accuracy or sensitivity, then you are correct there are significant improved differences of the Touch2 over the Touch1. But if it has to do with the tactile experience... that remains the same.

My RT came with a Touch1 cover. I thought it was excellent. I was surprised and impressed that the trackpad was multi-touch. Having a hard surface to tap on for the keys takes a short time to get used to. (only took me about 10-15 minutes of typing to get into the groove).

I saw the Surface press announcement with Panos Panay and when I saw that the Type2 was supposedly just as thin as the Touch1 (untrue btw) and backlit, I knew that I had to give it try. Although it is NOT as thin as my Touch1, it is certainly dramatically thinner than Type1. I didn't think that the very slight key travel would make a difference over the solid surface of the Touch1, but it does indeed.

In my opinion, the Type2 offers a "full keyboard experience". What I mean by that is because of the Surface RT's 10.6" 16:10 AR, they keyboard is the same size as the keyboard on my Macbook Pro 15.4". I can as easily type on my Surface RT's Type2 as I can on my MBP or any other full-size notebook.

So the answer the OP's question....
If you plan on using your Surface primarily as a tablet but would like to occasionally use a keyboard, I'd recommend the Touch2. There's also the added possibility that Microsoft will make use of the 1000 sensor touch array in the Touch2 for something equally innovative.

If you plan on using your Surface to replace a netbook or extended use of a keyboard, then I'd recommend the Type2.

Bottom line though is that both keyboard covers are outstanding and both, in my opinion, are the best of any keyboard cover for any tablet.

edit to add: I bought the Purple TypeCover2. I thought that the black was boring but the cyan and pink too garish, but the purple is subdued and really looks attractive. I would've preferred a teal in that same subdued intensity, but totally pleased with the purple.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

edit to add: I bought the Purple TypeCover2. I thought that the black was boring but the cyan and pink too garish, but the purple is subdued and really looks attractive. I would've preferred a teal in that same subdued intensity, but totally pleased with the purple.

Precisely! Same reason for my opting for the same!!!

oion

It does seem the purple Type 2 is the most popular pick--I think that was the first accessory to "sell out"? :p

And yes, I also got the purple Type 2. Maybe my memory is faulty, but I think the Type 2 keys are a smoother plastic than the Type 1.

It does seem the purple Type 2 is the most popular pick--I think that was the first accessory to "sell out"? :p

And yes, I also got the purple Type 2. Maybe my memory is faulty, but I think the Type 2 keys are a smoother plastic than the Type 1.
I just returned from the Microsoft Store in Scottsdale. I was looking to see if I could pick up a few accessories... had my eye on an Incipio case that looked like an excellent solution, this particular model had a stripe of color that matched the color of the TypeCover2. They had all colors except purple. The woman asked me where I got my purple Type2 from (Best Buy in upstate Arizona) because they didn't get any in the store at all and it has been the most requested color so far.

oion

I just returned from the Microsoft Store in Scottsdale. I was looking to see if I could pick up a few accessories... had my eye on an Incipio case that looked like an excellent solution, this particular model had a stripe of color that matched the color of the TypeCover2. They had all colors except purple. The woman asked me where I got my purple Type2 from (Best Buy in upstate Arizona) because they didn't get any in the store at all and it has been the most requested color so far.

Wow. Well, MS did well with that color--it's dark enough for business and guys who aren't terrified of purple as a "fem color" (pish!). I think MS would have done better to just stick with a darker palette all around. Dark red, blue, green, I imagine all of those would be popular. It's too bad the Touch 2 doesn't have colors anymore, but I suppose the backlight does complicate things like jnjroach said.

Alright, now every Type color is out of stock on the U.S. MS website.

fastfed

Had the Touch cover with my RT.. Was dead set on the type 2 cover for the new Surface 2 I picked up... found out besides the backlite keyboard, not much tech went into the type cover 2.

The touch cover I didn't like, loved the feel and the idea of it, but the accuracy was terrible. Then I tried the new touch 2 cover when I picked up my surface 2.

HELLS YEA!! totally different and now even if I make mistakes the keyboard knows which key I probably meant to hit and does it for me! I'm very happy I stuck with the touch cover again!

OP
M

mkilci

I played with the Touch in the store. The correction only works on some apps, ie native (Win 8) email app.

In word for example, the TypeCover was not correcting automatically. Is that a setting thing or am I missing something?

M