What's new

Touch and pen input die when kickstand opens!!

SeaNutria

OK, so I have been trying to trouble shoot a problem where my screen becomes totally unresponsive to touch and pen input. It started yesterday. I did my homework, went through the entire list of troubleshooting suggestions from MS, all the way to factory reset. Second factory reset fixed problem, temporarily.

Called and spoke to Surface support they indicated it needs to be exchanged. Unfortunately it's 10 days out of warranty. But b/c it did come back, for a few hours maybe it's a software issue? So I got some more troubleshooting tips from MS, including another reset and slower application of updates to see which if any may be involved in knocking out touch/pen input.

Long story short, I got it working again after 3rd reset. BUT, I now notice that it only works w/ kickstand closed. (This may have been the case from the beginning and i just never realized the correlation) The moment I open it, even the slightest, I lose all touch/pen responsiveness. It seems like the right hinge makes the slightest clicking sound when first beginning to open the kickstand, and it seems like that click is what kills the screen. I always figured the kickstand was simply mechanical, but maybe there's a switch that has gone bad??

Anyone else heard of anything like this?

Thx,
Craig

malberttoo

OK, so I have been trying to trouble shoot a problem where my screen becomes totally unresponsive to touch and pen input. It started yesterday. I did my homework, went through the entire list of troubleshooting suggestions from MS, all the way to factory reset. Second factory reset fixed problem, temporarily.

Called and spoke to Surface support they indicated it needs to be exchanged. Unfortunately it's 10 days out of warranty. But b/c it did come back, for a few hours maybe it's a software issue? So I got some more troubleshooting tips from MS, including another reset and slower application of updates to see which if any may be involved in knocking out touch/pen input.

Long story short, I got it working again after 3rd reset. BUT, I now notice that it only works w/ kickstand closed. (This may have been the case from the beginning and i just never realized the correlation) The moment I open it, even the slightest, I lose all touch/pen responsiveness. It seems like the right hinge makes the slightest clicking sound when first beginning to open the kickstand, and it seems like that click is what kills the screen. I always figured the kickstand was simply mechanical, but maybe there's a switch that has gone bad??

Anyone else heard of anything like this?

Thx,
Craig

Welcome to the forum.

If you can without doubt narrow your issue down, as you to say, to the kickstand opening, then you most likely have a loose connection of some kind in your device. So, a hardware problem.

I've not heard of that issue though before now.

EMINENT

Yeah, they should be totally unrelated, but maybe a defect in the construction of your stand is affecting the board or touch screen causing the loss of touch.

This is one of those one off bizarre hardware issues that may only leave replacement as your only fix.